GE Hot water tank Anode rod

Old 12-26-10, 02:33 PM
G
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
GE Hot water tank Anode rod

Good Evening,
I have a GE model #SG40T12AVGOO SmartWater hot water tank I believe I installed her in 2005. What I would like to do is change the Anode rod but can't find one I can't even find my model number!.
So my Question is does anyone know where I can get one for her? & Is there diffrent types (such as metals) if so what is the best?. Thank you for your help!
Will,

Old 12-26-10, 03:09 PM
Super Moderator
Received 85 Upvotes on 77 Posts
All you need to know is here. Read

Hot water heaters: Make yours last decades; solve a problem

Mike NJ

Old 12-27-10, 10:04 AM
G
Originally Posted by lawrosa
All you need to know is here. Read

Hot water heaters: Make yours last decades; solve a problem

Mike NJ
Good Afternoon Mike,
That's funny first Thank you for your help & reply. why I say that's funny is because I read that last night & sent an email to them. Today I got an email from them & they have one for my tank.
I was down at Home Depot where I bought the tank some years ago & the head plumbing guy said "he never heard of changing one!". this guy has helped me in the past & he does know his stuff so needless to say I was surprised to hear him say that.
Anyway yes Randy from Water Heater Rescue told me which one I need only thing is I'm going to have to unhook the whole thing & tip it as I don't have the clearance to do it but that's no big deal as long as it gives me more years cause right now I can't afford a new one.
Anyway Thank you again for your reply!
Will,

Old 12-27-10, 01:45 PM
Super Moderator
Received 85 Upvotes on 77 Posts
They sell a flexable anode so you dont have to tip it. I dont know if you saw that on the site I sent you.

I change my anode every 2 yrs. I am on a well and have acidic water. Its treated but I get about 6 yrs out of my HWH. I have been buying one and getting one free every 12 yrs. In 2016 when this one is at the end of warranty I will rip the label off, bring it to the supply house and tell them it leaks. They will give me a new one. Then that new water heater will not have any warranty and I will need to buy one when it starts leaking, and the process starts over again. Thats whats good about AO smith. The supply house does not want to see the old HWH nor does AO smith.

Mike NJ

Old 12-30-10, 11:00 PM
G
Good Evening Mike,
Yes I seen the flexible one as a matter of fact Randy sent me an email as to if I want that one or the solid one he said he would go solid as it is cheaper. Plus I figure I will have to tip her anyway to get the old one out also that will be more money I'll have for the socket I have nothing that even comes clouse. I thought my impact sockets would come clouse (not using the compressor!) they do but still there to small. He said even with the flex one you need ten inches which I have but still I figure the old one will (I hope need more than that!) I just hope I did not wait to long.
Thank you for your help again I really apreciate it!.
Will,

Old 01-02-11, 02:50 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
You can bend the old anode to get it out.

Doing that and using the flexible anode might make things simpler and easier.

Getting the old anode out takes considerable strength and leverage though!

Old 01-05-11, 09:17 PM
G
Originally Posted by SeattlePioneer
You can bend the old anode to get it out.

Doing that and using the flexible anode might make things simpler and easier.

Getting the old anode out takes considerable strength and leverage though!
Good evening,
Yes I read where getting the old one out takes some strength a lot of strength as a matter of fact. I have breaker bars that I'm going to try but am still looking for a socket.
I was also thinking of using but am a little worried of stripping the threads using my impact gun with my compressor!.
Do u think this would be a good idea or use the breaker bars?. As always I'm going to be a lone doing this with just my German Shepherd and she is more of a foreman than a worker!
Will,

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: