Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Plumbing, Piping, Water Heating, Wells, Air & Water Filtration and Conditioning > Water Heaters
Reload this Page >

Electric Marathon Water Heater - Temp set at 160 with hardly any hot water

Old 01-02-11, 03:09 PM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts

Hi all. I've read through the owner's manual and several sites that talk about Marathon water heaters, but am still having issues. I purchased my home in March of 2010 and the heater in question was from the previous owner. Shortly after moving in we realized our guest bathroom tub does not get hot whatsoever. However, the rest of the faucets in the house do, so I think it may just be the tub.

Anyways, around the same time we also discovered that we cannot run our hot water for long at all without it running out of the hot water. It seems to have progressively gotten worse and I am tired of the wife complaining about it. Before I go any further, the only thing I know is that it is and electric Marathon water heater with both the upper and lower thermostats. I believe it is a 50 gallon tank. Well, I went into the basement today to check the thermostats and the upper gauge is set to medium; owner's manual recommends one notch lower. Then, I checked the lower and it is set to 160! After reading the manual I gathered that it should be nowhere near this number. A family with kids is recommended to be set at 120 or so. So.............before I call a expert out, does anyone have any clues as to what my issue may be? Thank you for your help.

Old 01-08-11, 08:05 AM
Received 188 Upvotes on 168 Posts
I think I would be looking at the lower element and thermostat. The lower element is the one that heats the bulk of the water in the tank while the top element is the recovery element. If the lower element is not working, you'll have hot water, but not much. The upper thermostat must be satisfied before before power is switched to the lower element, if it is working properly.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: