Rain leaking onto water heater from vent pipe

Old 01-13-11, 02:45 PM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Rain leaking onto water heater from vent pipe

When it rains, water is getting into the water heater vent pipe and leaking onto the top of the heater, and going into the center and getting the insulation wet. I see some pipe seams facing up and want to seal them. What would be a good caulking material that would stand the heat in a vent pipe. I'm also going to see about changing the pipe sections, but the quickest solution would be to caulk the seams.

Old 01-13-11, 04:07 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 11 Upvotes on 10 Posts
Rain comes from above. You would need to go on the roof and determine what is allowing the leak and fix that. Caulk is no good here. On the roof you would need to use a fibrous tar sealant. Stop the water from above, the seams don't matter.

Old 01-13-11, 09:35 PM
J
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
It probably would have helped if I had mentioned that the vent pipe is outside...there is no roof involved here, the rain is hitting the outside pipe and running down into seams that are facing up. I'm referring to the seams that occur where one section of pipe fits into the other, or where the elbow fits into a section of pipe. Normally these seams would be facing down to avoid this kind of problem, but in this case there are some that are facing up. I am looking for a quick fix before the next rain storm, so I'd like to find a heat resistant caulk to fill the seams and also serve as a test to see if that stops the problem.

Old 01-14-11, 05:06 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 11 Upvotes on 10 Posts
Yeah, a headless picture doesn't help identify the person in the picture. So you are saying you have an exhaust exiting horizontally, then turning up on the outside of the structure? How far from the water heater is the pipe on the outside? Reason I ask is the further away, the cooler the temps, and since it is outside, you may have the opportunity to put aluminum tape on the top of the seam allowing it to drape over the sides. Do this on a dry day with the water heater not running. Press the tape firmly around all cracks and crevices so it will stick completely. Now if it is only 3' from the water heater, all bets are off, and you should replace the piping, turning the seams properly.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: