Peerless boiler - water not staying hot?

Old 02-01-11, 05:13 PM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Peerless boiler - water not staying hot?

Hello!

I've done some lurking in these forums and finally decided to see if I can tackle this issue I'm having. I want to admit that I know next to nothing about plumbing systems and burners, etc, but am handy enough to give something a go. However, to explain how much of a novice with this stuff I am, I don't even know how to adjust the water temp on the burner. This part is new to me (first home).

Anyway, I apologize, I see most posts in this forum are about hot water issues, but I did not see this specific problem with this equipment in another post.

The issue:
I purchased my first home in October and found am having an issue with the hot water in the shower.

When you turn the water on it must be to 85% hot to be "hot". This lasts about a minute when the water starts to get lukewarm and then colder. Increasing the temperature lever to 95% makes it hotter again but again, only for a minute or so when the same problem happens. You must turn it all the way hot, and still, it only lasts 1-2 minutes. If you let it run after a few minutes of lukewarm/cool water, it can get hot again, but won't last before reverting to cooler water.

I believe the problem has gotten worse since we moved in, however I have to admit that I don't remember this issue occuring when we first moved in but I can't say for certain that it used to stay hot all the time and only got worse when the winter came, or if it's always been this way.

A little background on the equipment I see:
I have one unit which I assume is the oil burner and water heater in one. It is a Peerless Boiler, model WBV-03-060-W. From a .pdf on Peerless' site I see this is a Peerless boiler with a Riello burner. It has one tank on it which says Amtrol Extrol model 30, which appears to be the expansion tank (although I'm not sure what it does). There is also Guard Dog model RB-122 "Low water cutoff for hot water boilers". Finally, there is a Taco Cartridge Circulator.

Easy thing to diagnose/fix, or call in the pro's?

Thanks in advance!!

Nevansari voted this post useful.
Old 02-01-11, 05:19 PM
Super Moderator
Received 85 Upvotes on 77 Posts
Quick questions.

What does the boiler gauge say? Temp and presure?

There is a grey box on the boiler that controls the hi and lo temps. Also a differential. This has power to it so if you feel more comfortable turn the boiler switch off to kill power. One screw hold the cover on. It slides off. Pull toward you once you loosen the screw.

What do these settings say? HI/LO/Diff

Did install new shower heads?

Mike NJ

Old 02-01-11, 05:28 PM
C
Thank you for the quick reply!

Here are the readings:
Diff: 10
Hi: just under 200
Lo: 160
Temp: 190
Pressure: 60

And as a matter of fact, I did install a new shower head not long after we bought the house.

Old 02-01-11, 05:49 PM
Super Moderator
Are you sure the pressure is 60? You might be reading from the wrong scale. The scale on the gauge should be in PSI. Check that again. Sounds like around 26 psi which is too hi.

Put the hi on 190
Put the low on 150
Put the diff in 20.

Try that. And what shower head did you install. Get a low flow.

Also is there a mixing valve at the boiler? These stick sometimes. Turn the handle back and forth acouple times but make sure you set it back at 120F. This is sutible for showers. You dont want to get scalded. If you dont have one get one installed. This may cut flow somewhat so you get better heat transfer at the tankless coil.

Mike NJ

Old 02-01-11, 06:02 PM
C
Yep - I was giving you the feet scale, not the PSI. You were right, PSI was right around 26. I made the changes that you suggested and will try out in a little bit.

The shower head I got was a Moen from home depot. No special one, don't recall hi/low flow, but fiance waned it because it had different settings you could use.

While I have to confess to not knowing what a mixing valve looks like, I checked google images and don't have anything that looks like any of those and have no valve with a temperature on it that I could reset, so I assume I don't have one at the boiler.

Assuming nothing changes with these new settings, could the shower head really cause these changes? If so, I suppose I should look for a new one.

Thank you for your answers.

Old 02-01-11, 06:21 PM
Super Moderator
The hot water coil works at a certain gallons per minute. So say 3 gallons a minute and you have a 4 gallon a minute shower heag the water moves to fast for the water to heat up. But when the boiler fires and the temp in the boiler goes up the water will get hotter, just like what you have been experiencing.

Here is a mixing valve. I highly recommend installing this. Your water gets as hot as the boiler and can burn you or children in seconds.

This one adjusts to 85-150F. Others only go to 85-120F which is really as hot as you want the water to be. (120F). But the one below give you extra variance if needed.

5002-C2 - Taco 5002-C2 - 1/2" Sweat 5002 Mixing Valve

Also your pressure is high on the boiler. At 30 PSI the relief valve may trip and spit out hot steam and water. Possibly you can let alittle water out of a boiler valve. The water will be hot. Just enough to lower the pressure. I would tink if it rises again you may have a fill valve or expansion tank issue. The pressure should be around 20PSI when hot. 12 -15 psi cold.

Mike NJ

Old 02-01-11, 06:30 PM
C
Ok, thanks for all of your information. I found the showerhead that I purchased online and it looks like a Moen Branbury which shows a 2.5 gpm head. It looks like this qualifies as a "low flow". So - hopefully the changes you suggested to the hi low diff, etc wil result in a change.

Old 02-01-11, 06:44 PM
Super Moderator
It might make it worse becuase you are relying on higher boiler temps to keep the hot water to your liking. But you are using more fuel with these higher settings. Also there is a temp top behind the handle that lets you turn the hot water on further. This is a scald preventer. I would suggest putting on the mixing valve first.

You might be better of terminating this type of hot water heating and installing a electric HWH. AO smith even makes a heat pump HWH and you can get all kinds of tax breaks.

They make a 60 gallon.

Voltex® Hybrid Electric - Water Heaters Residential by A. O. Smith

Here is a good shower head.

http://www.niagaraconservation.com/P...ead-Chrome.pdf

Mike NJ

Old 02-01-11, 07:06 PM
Super Moderator
Install manuals.

IO&M Manuals

Search this Thread

Ask a Question