Scalding Hot Water Always... Thermostat?????

Old 02-01-11, 06:13 PM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Scalding Hot Water Always... Thermostat?????

Just noticed today that we are getting super hot water to the point of burning hot from our electric AO Smith water heater. Thinking it might be one or both thermostat but not a pro. Prior to this if we had the water turned all to the hot side it was not scalding hot. If the thermostat how do I test for a bad one. Any ideas?

Old 02-01-11, 06:34 PM
Super Moderator
Received 85 Upvotes on 77 Posts
Here are instructions:

How to Test an Electric Hot Water Heater Thermostat | eHow.com

Most of the time in my experience it has been the lower one. Be prepared for the upper t stat breaker to trip. This happens when the t stat dont shut off and the water gets too hot. This is a saftey feature.

Mike NJ

Old 02-01-11, 06:39 PM
T
So is it the upper or lower? How do you check if the upper is tripping?
Sounds like your upper Tstat suggestion is it, for it is not shutting temp off. Any test I can do?

Old 02-01-11, 06:51 PM
Super Moderator
The instructions are in the link I put in my previous post. The upper has a breaker and if it trips you will have no how water until you reset it. One of your t stats seem to be in runaway mode, which means its not turning off at the set temp. It keeps climbing until the temp hits like 160F. Then the breaker will trip.

Mike NJ

Old 02-02-11, 06:43 PM
T
lawrosa thanks for your help.
I have replaced the upper and lower thermostats thinking this would solve the issue but after two new themostats I am still getting scalding hot water. Could there be an issue with the heating elements? New thermostats were set at 130 degrees.
What am I missing here? Thanks again, and if anyone else has a solution please chime in too. Hate to spend 300 bucks on a plumber if I can attempt to fix it.

Old 02-02-11, 07:19 PM
Super Moderator
I am trying to think but with new t stats at 130F there should be no way you get more then that. The elements are on or off and are controled by the t stat.

What is the make and model of your HWH????

Mike NJ

Old 02-03-11, 04:36 AM
T
AO Smith Model EEST 52, about 4 years old
Funny thing is if I push in the red reset button and hold it, I can hear the heater turn off and back on when I release. And why is the reset button not tripping when the temp hits the scalding temp.
Could it be a bad water heater, seems unlikely since it is a heating issue but I'm at a loss here.

Old 02-03-11, 08:13 AM
T
Another note, the heating elements are always on. When I push the reset button and hold there is no power to the elements. Otherwise the power is always on to the elements.

Old 02-03-11, 09:48 AM
Super Moderator
Your HWH is under warranty for parts and not labor. I think the internal temp sensor is defective somewhere. Upper or lower.

Here is another test method.

How to Troubleshoot and Repair an Electric Water Heater | eHow.com

Here is your warranty page. Type in your serial #. You may need a new tank.

https://warranty.hotwater.com/Heater...erSearch.aspx?

Mike NJ

Old 02-05-11, 04:30 PM
Received 188 Upvotes on 168 Posts
I have replaced the upper and lower thermostats thinking this would solve the issue but after two new themostats I am still getting scalding hot water. Could there be an issue with the heating elements? New thermostats were set at 130 degrees.
130 degree water IS SCALDING HOT WATER. I'd turn the thermostats down to 115-120 and see what happens.

And why is the reset button not tripping when the temp hits the scalding temp.
The high temperature limit control with the red button trips on excessively high temperatures, approximately 170 degrees. With your new thermostats set to 130, the temperature isn't high enough to trip the high limit control. Have you tried actually checking the temperature of the water at the tap? If your thermostats and high limit are defective, the T&P relief valve should start releasing hot water at approximately 210 degrees.

https://hdsupplysolutions.com/webapp...&rr_cid=206925

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: