horizontal laying hotwater heater

Old 02-15-11, 11:13 AM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
horizontal laying hotwater heater

I own a mobile home trailer...a 70's model.. I want to redo my bathroom and get more space. Is it possible to get a hot water heater that can lay in the crawlspace under my trailer ???

Old 02-15-11, 03:26 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 11 Upvotes on 10 Posts
Not to my knowledge. You don't want the water heater under the trailer, anyway. It will freeze. You may be able to take up part of a closet and wall it off, leaving an access panel, and install it there. Not sure if you have any space like that or not.

Old 02-15-11, 05:11 PM
Super Moderator
Received 85 Upvotes on 77 Posts
I would agree with chanldler on the possible freezing. If you can insulate somehow I would do two 20 gals (this way you get 40 gal)and hook them in parallel. This is if you have electric. If gas forget it.

The height is 25" for 20 gal ....30" for 30 gal

Reliance - 6 20 SOMS - 20 Gallon Compact Mobile Home Electric Water Heater | Every Faucet

http://common.csnstores.com/common/m...ifications.pdf

Mike NJ

Old 02-15-11, 05:32 PM
Originally Posted by bsettles1977
I own a mobile home trailer...a 70's model.. I want to redo my bathroom and get more space. ...
Have you looked into using a tankless water heater? We have a Rheem gas-fired unit that is rated for 3 uses simultaneously, i.e., washing machine, shower, and dishwasher. It is hardly larger than a medicine cabinet and the advertisements about never running out of hot water are true. Thing is, they vary in size depending upon overall rating. Because you're not storing water in them, they can be very small. And even mounted on the outside of the wall.

Old 02-19-11, 01:30 PM
P
You never mentioned what kind of fuel you're using now. Is it gas, oil, electric?
Small point of use or on-demand water heater is a very inexpensive option.

Here is a good comparison table for both gas and electric tankless water heaters from various manufacturers, including venting options, start-up flow rates, max flow rates, etc.:

Buyer's Guide to Tankless Water Heaters

Old 02-20-11, 07:40 AM
B
My source is electric....about the tankless-they seem to be very expensive and I have read a lot of reviews that deter me cause they all seem to have problems at some point..
Insulating under my trailer and around the hot water heaters is very possible.. Right now i have electric hot water heater in the corner of my bathroom taking up 2 ft X 2ft of space and that is where i would like to put a full size tub and shower in at... The heater works great, but i have the washer/dry a tub, and toilet and vanity all in a room 7ft X 7'6... the tub and hot water heater sits on the outside wall (exposing it to the wind side of the trailer ) I don't even know if there is insulation in that wall. I will be gutting the bathroom and moving everything..

Old 02-20-11, 07:49 AM
B
hot water heater

My source is electric....about the tankless-they seem to be very expensive and I have read a lot of reviews that deter me cause they all seem to have problems at some point..
Insulating under my trailer and around the hot water heaters is very possible.. Right now i have electric hot water heater in the corner of my bathroom taking up 2 ft X 2ft of space and that is where i would like to put a full size tub and shower in at... The heater works great, but i have the washer/dry a tub, and toilet and vanity all in a room 7ft X 7'6... the tub and hot water heater sits on the outside wall (exposing it to the wind side of the trailer ) I don't even know if there is insulation in that wall. I will be gutting the bathroom and moving everything..
I do have gas available that i can branch off of...And i have not one closet in the whole house...

Old 02-20-11, 11:11 AM
S
There is no pracitical method to laying a water heater horizontally. You say you have gas available. I am assuming LP. If you are looking to save space, Rheem has an outdoor, LP freeze protected unit you may want to consider.Water Heaters
Rheem also has a 30 gal electric point of use heater that is 30" high. It is a 120 volt unit. Efficiency for residential use may not be great. 82vp30-1 is the number. I have installed them in shops and offices.

Last edited by ssk1100; 02-20-11 at 11:33 AM.
Old 02-21-11, 01:10 AM
B
Sorry...no natural gas...my furnace is natural gas...it lays horizontal....

Old 02-21-11, 04:26 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 11 Upvotes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by bsettles1977
Sorry...no natural gas...my furnace is natural gas...it lays horizontal....
So if you don't have ng, how does the furnace work?
If this was a context error, then the ng tankless will be a blessing for you. Yeah, it is a little expensive at the onset, but you won't be heating water while you are at work, or away for any time, as you are now doing.

Old 02-22-11, 09:54 AM
B
natural gas

I do have natural gas.....I don't know why the forum did that. I didn't even type it like that.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: