Marathon vs Gas Direct Vent

Old 02-16-11, 12:22 PM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Marathon vs Gas Direct Vent

An energy audit has recommended that we air seal the basement, which would necessitate getting rid of our standard vented gas water heater because of combustion and ventilation problems once basement is air-sealed. Marathon 50 gallon water heater has been suggested as the replacement. If we want to spend substantially more we can get a gas direct vent model. Plumber is telling us that we might be disappointed with Marathon's ability to reheat water quickly enough vs our current gas model. We are two adults, two young children, one bathroom (might add another in 3-5 years). No hot tub, no irregular hot water needs. Will we be fine with the Marathon? It's FHR is lower than our current gas model (61 vs 88), but will we not notice the difference? Would getting a 75 gallon instead of a 50 gallon be a good idea to plan for teenagers in the house in 10 years? Any other thoughts appreciated.
Thanks.

Old 02-17-11, 05:54 PM
Received 188 Upvotes on 168 Posts
Just my opinion, but I don't think you'll see a difference. If I were changing from gas to electric, it would definitely be a Marathon. The efficiency is the best on the market and I believe the tank carries a lifetime warranty.

Until the GE Hybrid water heater came out, reviews recommended the Rheem Marathon models as the best electric water heaters. The Marathon water heaters have a high EF rating of 0.94, and 2.5-inch insulation minimizes heat loss to about 5 percent in 24 hours. Their main advantage, though, is the leak-proof tank that carries a lifetime warranty.
Tank Water Heaters - Water Heaters Reviews

Old 02-18-11, 02:30 PM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the reply. Is it worth it to get the larger capacity tank, again considering water needs 5-10 years down the line? The 85 gallon tank is only about $170 more than the 50 gallon. Will our cost to heat that 85 gallons be substantially more than the 50 gallon, or no because the Marathon has very little heat loss, so once that 85 gallons is heated, it would stay hot longer than a conventional steel tank?

Old 02-18-11, 06:33 PM
Received 188 Upvotes on 168 Posts
Originally Posted by benerofe
Thanks for the reply. Is it worth it to get the larger capacity tank, again considering water needs 5-10 years down the line? The 85 gallon tank is only about $170 more than the 50 gallon. Will our cost to heat that 85 gallons be substantially more than the 50 gallon, or no because the Marathon has very little heat loss, so once that 85 gallons is heated, it would stay hot longer than a conventional steel tank?
My opinion is you don't need the larger tank, but that's a decision you will have to make. Although standby losses are minimal with both tanks, there is a substantial premium to be paid to heat the extra 35 gallons of water and utility rates are only headed up.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: