sediment in hot water only

Old 02-16-11, 06:49 PM
E
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
sediment in hot water only

Hello, my father purchased a new Whirlpool dual element 30gal water heater approx 4 months ago. Since the installation he has noticed significant sediment when using the hot water only. When using cold water there is no sediment or buildup of any sort, however there is a slightly granulated feeling to the hot water. There has been enough sediment to the point of having to turn off the tank and flush the shower lines and sink filters to maintain adequate pressure, and hes had to do this every 2-3 weeks since installation. He has also checked the filter in the heater itself, but says it looks brand new and shows nothing out of the ordinary.This is well water, however hes had the property for 20 years and hasnt experienced any occurance until the new water heater. Forgive me if there is already subject matter in this forum on such a topic, however it didnt turn up in my searches. Thank you very much in advance for any help/suggestions, it is appreciated.

Old 02-16-11, 10:05 PM
Super Moderator
Received 85 Upvotes on 77 Posts
He has also checked the filter in the heater itself, but says it looks brand new and shows nothing out of the ordinary.
Just wondering what filter that would be?

What type of water pipes are in the house? Galvinized? What does the sediment look like?

Let us know

Old 02-17-11, 02:24 PM
E
the pipes are copper not galvanized, and the sediment most closely resembles white sand. as for the filter, its a simple whole house filter for sand and rust and theres no sediment in it at all.

Old 02-17-11, 02:38 PM
Super Moderator
Received 85 Upvotes on 77 Posts
Sounds like pieces of the old anode rod. Its white in color and when you rub it in your fingers it disolves?

If thats it it will pass.

Mike NJ

Old 02-17-11, 06:37 PM
E
i hope this is the case, thank you for your help. is it commom for it to persist for this long, or is there anything he can do to speed up the process?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: