Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Plumbing, Piping, Water Heating, Wells, Air & Water Filtration and Conditioning > Water Heaters
Reload this Page >

thermal protection keeps tripping on water heater, ran tests but nothing obvious

thermal protection keeps tripping on water heater, ran tests but nothing obvious

Old 02-22-11, 05:23 AM
F
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts

I have a 50gal kenmore electric water heater and over the past two weeks the theraml protection breaker on the water heater has tripped a couple times. I broke out the DMM and ran some tests but they all come back fine. I ohm'd out the heating elements and both the upper and lower were coming in at 14.8. With these reading I suspect they are intact and are good to go. I checked the thermostats and they both showed 240v when I tested the upper and the lower. I did do the turn the top one up all the way and lower down for the tests and vice versa but they seem to be testing fine. Do thermostats for water heaters work like a vehicle where sometimes they can just stick and other times they don't? The water will normally be fine for 2 or 3 days then it will trip again. To me it seems one of the two will stick open and trip the control. I figured I would just replace both upper and lower t-stats but i want to make sure I am not missing something else. Any ideas or does the stats sound like the culprit?

Old 02-22-11, 07:28 AM
Super Moderator
Received 85 Upvotes on 77 Posts
When the breaker tripps is the water very very hot? If so, yes a t stat is going bad.

Mike NJ

Old 02-22-11, 07:38 AM
F
I can't say for sure if the water is really really hot when it clicks off because it normally happens a few hours before anyone uses the hot water but I can say that the water has been extremely hot at times, a lot hotter than it ever has been so this was another reason i assumed it was the tstat.

Old 02-22-11, 10:23 AM
F
Does anyone know who sells Kenmore parts besides Sears Parts Stores? Hoping there is somewhere closer to home to buy some thermostats to replace.

Old 02-25-11, 08:13 PM
Received 188 Upvotes on 168 Posts
I doubt you would have to buy Kenmore parts as there are several manufacturers who make all electric water heater thermostats. I would try any True Value or Ace Hardware store before buying online, but if you want to buy online, Google is your friend. I prefer T O D thermostats, but there are others like this one

Camco 07863 240V Upper Double Pole Water Heater Universal Thermostat

Or this one

Reliance Electric Water Heater Thermostat (9001954045) - Water Heater Parts & Accessories - Ace Hardware

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: