Used Rheem 50gal water heater - Pilot won't light...Any ideas?

Old 03-07-11, 12:11 AM
X
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Used Rheem 50gal water heater - Pilot won't light...Any ideas?

I have a used 50 gallon Rheem "Fury" series water heater (built in 2005) that I just installed, but we can't seem to light the pilot flame. We hooked up the gas line and turned on the gas. Then we turned the dial to "pilot", held down the pilot-gas button, and depressed the "Piezo igntion striker" button several times (that's what the directions said to do). We observed through the little glass window either a lone spark or spark accompanied by a brief flash (like what you would expect to see when you were lighting a small gas source). However, we never once got a sustained pilot flame even though we were still holding down the pilot-gas-source button.

Does anybody have any ideas of what might be wrong?

Here's the specific info on my water heater...

Rheem Fury Series
Manufactured 2005
Model # 42v50-40F
50 Gallon

Thanks for any help.

Old 03-07-11, 12:44 AM
F
Received 39 Upvotes on 31 Posts
You need to purge the air from the gas line before gas reaches the pilot burner. With the tiny orifice in the pilot burner it could take a long time to purge all the air.

Old 03-07-11, 06:04 AM
X
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Furd
You need to purge the air from the gas line before gas reaches the pilot burner. With the tiny orifice in the pilot burner it could take a long time to purge all the air.
Brilliant! We purged the line and still couldn't get the pilot lit, but it gave us an idea. So we disconnected the gas-supply line and blew it out with about 120 psi from a compressor, and...wala!...It lit right up and is working like a charm. Thank you oh, so very much...I haven't taken a shower in almost 2 weeks! Thanks again for your time & thoughtfulness.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: