Hot water issues

Old 03-24-11, 04:40 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Hot water issues

Hi guys, I am a first time home owner & this is my first post.

This morning my hot water was smelling like rotten eggs. I was messing around with the hot water heater & I set off the release valve on the side of the house. I tried to stop the flow of water by cutting off the cold water coming into the hot water heater.

This worked fine and then I tried to drain the water out of the spout at the bottom. Water barely came out, and when I went to cut the cold water back on I think I might have stripped it or something, because now I can't cut it on or off and now my hot water in the house is just barely coming out. The cold water flow is fine, but the hot water trickles.

The house is 10 years old, city water, and the pipes are all copper.

Any help is MUCH appreciated!

Thank you in advance!

Old 03-24-11, 05:18 PM
Super Moderator
Received 85 Upvotes on 77 Posts
Hi Welcome.

Lets forget the rotton eggs. Thats a different issue. Lets get you water.

If you turned off the valve to the HWH and now when you opened it it can be a few things. Depends on what valve. I would say its not a ball valve.

1. The handle is stripped and not turning the stem. Is this the case? Remove the handle and turn the stem CCW with a pliers.
2. The washer inside the valve disintegrated and broke apart and is blocking the passage. Try closing and opening a couple of times. If that dont work you will need to turn off the main to take the valve apart. You can put a new washer in and hopefully pic the old one out. These are hard to take apart though.
3. Its a gate valve and the stem broke internally. The handle keeps turning and turning. The valve will need to be replaced.
4. There may be nothing wrong with the valve and sediment is clogging the hot side of the fixtures. ( Is all hot water slow? You did not specify if it was isolated. )

No water came out of the drain valve because its loaded with sediment.

It may be time to change the HWH. Let use know how many bathrooms and how many in the house. Kids ages help.
We can guide to possibly something more efficient than whats there.

Well or city water?

What type of heating system?

Mike NJ

Old 03-24-11, 05:42 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Thanks a lot Mike!

It is a gate valve. The first time I tried to close it, it took both hands to turn and felt rusted. Now it is loose and just turns and turns.

I tried to remove the stem, but water started to flow out, so I closed it back up.

All of the hot water throughout the house is extremely slow. The house is a two bedroom/two bath. We don't have any kids (yet)! It is city water, and it is a 40 gallon A.O. Smith unit.

Reid

Old 03-24-11, 08:09 PM
Super Moderator
Received 85 Upvotes on 77 Posts
You wont be able to take that valve apart. It needs to be replaced. If your going to do the water heater the valve comes with it. Unless you are going to DIY why pay a plumber twice.

Go with another AO smith. Its all I use.

Please dont buy a home store model.

The rotton egg smell is mostly from the sediment and the anode rod. Possibly have the plumber sanitize the plumbing lines also.

Mike NJ

Old 03-25-11, 05:25 PM
Received 188 Upvotes on 168 Posts
I am a first time home owner & this is my first post.
Problems like this are from lack of maintenance by the previous homeowner. After replacing your water heater you will have learned a valuable lesson.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: