Hot Water Takes Oddly Long. Wife not pleased.

Old 04-01-11, 09:30 PM
G
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Hot Water Takes Oddly Long. Wife not pleased.

75 year old house, we've been in it less than a year. 8-year old water heater (roughly). Certain parts of the house (opposite the heater) take a an absurdly long time to get hot water. There is a hot water circulation pump. The lines then T off as I've tried to illustrate in the included image.

The strange thing is that it looks like the valve is closed on one leg of the T. It's perpendicular to the pipe heading into the house.

Does this seem strange? It looks to my untrained eye that one leg of the circulation is cut off.

Old 04-02-11, 04:00 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 11 Upvotes on 10 Posts
Welcome to the forums! You are correct the valve is closed. If you trace it and it goes to the recirculation, pump, then it is not working. Now, you will need to monitor it to make sure there are no leaks in the recirculation system, as I am sure it was turned off for a reason. Let us know what happens when you open the valve.

Old 04-02-11, 08:48 PM
L
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Either you're wrong about the direction of water flow through the pump, or the installer put it in wrong.

The pump should be taking the water out the the return line and puting into the bottom of the water heater. And there should be a check valve in the system to prevent the water from being drawn out of the WH into the return line.

Old 04-03-11, 06:17 PM
G
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the responses.

Here are some updates:

I went ahead and opened the valve. Now, hot water seems to be getting everywhere quickly. We also noticed the cold water seems colder. This is good.

Nothing seems to have burst or otherwise appear problematic. This is great.

Lefty, I think you're right - I had the flow direction wrong. I think one of the returns coming from a new part of the house was off and that was preventing the whole system from operating correctly.

All seems great now. Do you guys think I should have a plumber check the crawlspace for leaks based on the assumption that that valve was off for a reason?

Thanks again.

Old 04-04-11, 03:46 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 11 Upvotes on 10 Posts
Call a plumber if you must, but it ain't rocket science. You can use a good light and see if you have leaks on your own. I'd hate to spend what plumbers charge just to look under my house for leaks. BUT, if it gives you a warm and fuzzy, by all means call in a pro to make sure you are OK. Glad it worked out for you. Just don't know why that valve was shut off.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: