Water Heaters - Replace One or Both

Old 05-14-11, 08:49 AM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Water Heaters - Replace One or Both

I have a 10 year old house with two water heaters. On one, the inlet nipple rusted off because they did not install the dielectric isolator and is leaking bad and may not be repairable. The other one, I think I can repair and install the dielectric isolator. My wife says that I should replace both heaters and hopefully not worry about it for the next 10-15 years. What advice does anyone have?

Old 05-14-11, 09:04 AM
Super Moderator
Received 85 Upvotes on 77 Posts
I would replace both. only because they are 10 yrs. When the other goes, why go through the hassle again.

Gas, Electric?

Also you now have options. So think before you just replace. What do you want to achieve.

Depending on what you have there, your HW needs, and what savings you are looking for.

These are just thoughts.

Example. Install two new heaters, and if no high demand then use one at a time. You need valves to isolate them properly. It will save on your fuel source. Then turn the other on for hi demand when needed.

If electric, look into heat pump HWH. They come in 60-80gal. (Rheem hybrid)

Look into installing one larger unit. If you have two 40 ga,l install a 75. Although I rather have two due to the fact you will still have HW when one goes. But one unit is less to maintain.

Better yet some power vents come in 50 gal but are 90% eff and act as a 75 gal. (Vertex by AO smith)

Tax rebates..

Tankless. Although they have thier place I do not usually recommend them.

Mike NJ

Old 05-14-11, 12:36 PM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Thank you very much - very insightful.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: