Pilot Light

Old 06-13-11, 08:55 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Smile Pilot Light

Hello! I am a new member and this is my first post so let me know if I need to include additional information. Moving on, we have a 20 gallon water heater for hot water for bathing and washing clothes. For the past month, the pilot light will not stay on. Some days it will stay on for the entire day, but most of the time it will not stay on for very long and we have to continuously light the pilot light manually. It is an older water heater, but it would be nice to fix it so that the pilot light will stay lit by itself. Thank you! I am excited for this site! It seems that it will be a very helpful thing.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-13-11, 09:01 AM
Super Moderator
Received 25 Votes on 23 Posts
Hi welcome.

Others, or myself, can help you further if you give us some info.

Make/model of water heater?

Location its installed, and type of home.

Mike NJ

Old 06-14-11, 06:35 AM
The water heater is a Reliance 606. And is actually a 50 gallon. Our small one is a 20. The pilot light is lit by a Piezo electric spark gas ignition system. I don't if any other information would be helpful, so I will just give all I can. The model # is 650Y0RT4, the serial # is F07J052238. It inputs 35500 BTU/hr and has a recovery of 35.38 gal/hr. The max working pressure is 150 psi. The gas pressure in W.C. is as follows, max inlet is 14.00, min inlet is 5.00, and manifold is 4.00. The gas pressure in W.C. is the only thing I don't know what it is so I don't know if it is useful. Hope this helps lawrosa

Old 06-14-11, 06:38 AM
I forgot the location. It is near the front of the house in the same room as the washer and dryer in about a 30 foot square room. And I don't know exactly how to describe the type of home, but I would say our home is a normal sized country home

Old 06-14-11, 07:12 AM
Super Moderator
Hi.

Good info.

First I would like to say I believe the water heater to be a 2007, is that correct? If so it is probably under warranty for parts, but no labor. If you have your hand book it will tell you on the back. You may be better leaving this to a pro, and pay whatever labor you need to.

With that you may be able to check something. These units have FVIR technology. The burner is sealed and gets air from a screen at the bottom of the water heater.

If it is the t couple the pilot assembly needs to be changed as one unit. You cant just change the t couple.

Is that lint screen clogged?

Are you resetting the thermal switch at the view window? It has two wires to it and a little button.

I am saying this because its by a dryer they often get clogged with lint and starve for air.
Also the pilot assembly can be defective, but the pilot most likely would not stay lit if this were the case.

Also the flue pipe can have blockage. Its rare, but you never know.

If lint gets past the screen, then the internal flame arrestor gets clogged. The burner would need to be removed to clean.

In some instances certain models have a oxygen diffuser on the burner. These are for CA models but often find thier way to other states. These can be removed if your not in one of the two states that require it. This diffuser blocks the pilot when it degrades.

Also some moders hav a flammable vapor sensor. If you paint the room or use a varnish, per say, the sensor will trip. You may or may not have this.

This is the best advice I can give you. Let us know. Like I said. I believe its under warranty. 6-9 yrs for everything but labor. Labor is covered 1st yr only.

Mike NJ

Old 06-14-11, 07:26 AM
Awesome. Thank you very much. I will let you know what I do and the outcome of it all. I just spent some time reading other threads, and it seems that cleaning all the filters and stuff should be the first thing to think about. This is a fantastic site. Thank you. Quick question, where would the internal flame arrestor, burner, and if i have it, the oxygen difuser be located?

Old 06-14-11, 07:38 AM
Super Moderator
Hi

the oxygen difuser be located?
Page 22 here fig 18. It shows a burner with no diffuser. If you have one it sits ontop of the flame. Its a square screen. Its help on by one nut at the top of the burner.

http://www.reliancewaterheaters.com/...186486-002.pdf

Quick question, where would the internal flame arrestor

Page 27 figure 29. The air comes up through that. There is a cone that covers it.

http://www.reliancewaterheaters.com/...186486-002.pdf

This is a FVIR bulletin. It shows a corderite disk type flame arrestor. Your probably does not have that if its a 07, but still hase a similar arrestor as described in the above link.

http://www.reliancewaterheaters.com/...chBulletin.pdf

Also burner removal instructions.

http://www.reliancewaterheaters.com/...184533-001.pdf

Again, I dont know your skill set. Working with gas is dangerous. If your not sure call a pro. You can be seriously injured.

Mike NJ

Old 06-29-11, 07:19 AM
Lawrosa, thanks for all your help! We went to our local hardware store, and bought a t couple since it was inexpensive, replaced it, and the water heater works amazing now! Pilot Light stays on and hasnt shut off since the replacement about a week or more ago.