gas water heater leaking

Old 06-25-11, 11:30 AM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
gas water heater leaking

I have a gas water heater been having it for many of years i notice today their is water leaking from the bottom on to the floor had to turn the water off from the outside is it time for another one and if so if i try to replace it would i have to call the gas company to come out to turn the gas off before i replace the water heater

Old 06-25-11, 12:21 PM
Super Moderator
Received 85 Upvotes on 77 Posts
Hi.

If its leaking most likely it needs to be replaced. You did not say how old it was. It probably does not matter at this point.

As far as DIY, yes you can replace it. Check your local codes and take out a permit. This may seem like a hassle but its code mostly everywhere I know.

Since you said it may be gas you could turn the gas off yourself and really dont need to call the gas company. There should be a gas valve at the HWH.

Code items to look for.

Proper gas valve within 3 ft of appliance. No old packing grease style
If using gas flex then no longer then 3 ft. No old aluminum style flex lines
Proper gas drip tee
4" flue is code now in most parts. No more 3 ". And if its not code in your area it will be.
Because of the 4" flue issue, it may be a bigger task to change. Often the Y needs to be change when connected to a furnace or boiler.
If it enters a masonary chimney with another appliance they must enter at different heights, 6" if they enter the chimney separately.
The masonary chimney usually needs to be certified.
Releif valve piped within 6" to floor and no closer then 1" to floor
Bonding wire between Hot and cold.
3 screws per smoke pipe joint.
Proper clearances and air for combustion.

Thats all I can think of. Did you think water heaters were easy?

Mike NJ

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: