expansion tank, hot water in cold faucets

Old 07-09-11, 09:44 AM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
expansion tank, hot water in cold faucets

I'm getting a brief spurt of hot water (a few seconds) coming out of some cold water fixtures. These aren't one-fixture for hot and cold types that can sometimes get crossed. they are solo cold water fixtures. I can feel hot water backing up out of the hot water heater into its cold water supply line above the expansion tank. Does this mean I need a new expansion tank? Any other problems I should look for before getting a new expansion tank? And if I need a new tank, any other preventative maintenance I should do while I've got the water heated drained? It's an electric water heater. I have an oil burner that heats the water and then it is stored in the electric tank. Many thanks.

Old 07-09-11, 09:56 AM
Super Moderator
Received 85 Upvotes on 77 Posts
Hi.

When you drain the system to check the expansion tank the pressure in the tank should be set to what your incoming pressure is for the home.

You should check that first. Then depending what it is you may have a pressure reducer at the water main coming into the home. This could be faulty also.

So you have some things to check. Depending on your water quality and how old the water heater is it may be good to de-lime the heater of scale buildup.

Also possibly you have no heat traps at the heater. These are built into the nipples that screw in the hot and cold ports of the heater or one can be fabricated. These are usually for convection.

Mike NJ

Old 07-09-11, 01:29 PM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
thanks so much, Mike. I'll check it out tomorrow.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: