No hot water coming out of faucet

Old 08-08-11, 11:10 AM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts

Hi,

I have an electric hot water heater that was installed new about 3 years ago. It is what they call a fat boy. I usually turn the breaker off when I am out of town a few days and I did that when I was just recently gone. I came back yesterday and as usual I turn the breaker back on when arriving. This morning I go to take a shower and no hot water is coming out at all in any of my faucets. I turned the breaker off and on again just to make sure but nothing. Cold water is coming out just fine just no hot water. Any hints as to what I should look for?

Old 08-08-11, 11:35 AM
Super Moderator
Received 85 Upvotes on 77 Posts
Hi.

The breaker may have tripped at the HWH itself. That would be under the upper element cover. Its held on by two screws. It should be a round red button. Turn off power, reset button, then turn on power.

Its high voltage under that panel so please make sure power is off before doing anywork on HWH.

Let us know

Old 08-08-11, 11:36 AM
Received 11 Upvotes on 8 Posts
There should be panels on the side of the water heater, one near the top and one near the bottom. This is where your t-stat and heater coils are located. Turn off breaker and remove the top panel. There should be another circuit breaker in there, a red button. Push it and see if it clicks, it may have "popped" when appling power. Reset main breaker and see if your water heater starts working.

Old 08-08-11, 01:00 PM
P
Received 19 Upvotes on 18 Posts
To be clear, are you saying that no water is coming out of the hot water tap at all or just that the water temp is not hot?

Old 08-08-11, 02:49 PM
D

The water heater is now working. When I turn any of the faucets to the "hot" status it now has water coming out and it is also hot. I had to reset the breaker inside the water heater.

Thanks for the help

Old 08-18-11, 07:05 PM
A
Same issue

I'm having the same problem. The water company had a major issue and we totally lost water for 6 days. They came back online and we had hot water. Today I turned the hot water faucet on and nothing. I have cold water and the water heater is heating up the water. I checked it by opening the drain valve and flushing the bottom of the tank- that way I could check to see if we had pressure and if the water was heating up. Is it possible to be vapor locked or is it possible that some junk got up in the line or sediment in the line came loose and now it is plugged? None of my faucets have hot water coming out.

I checked the breaker on the top element and pushed it but it still did not fix it. I had the power off when I did it. Isn't that breaker for the electrical elements? It shouldn't effect flow....?

Thanks.

Old 08-18-11, 07:47 PM
Super Moderator
Hi,

No faucets have hot water flowing but the cold side does?

Have you checked the valve at the water heater to make sure its open?

Let us know.

Mike NJ

Old 08-19-11, 07:51 AM
A
Yes. There is no water coming out of any of the faucets when you turn on the hot water side of the faucet but the cold side has water coming out. The valve to the hot water heater is open as well. I'm thinking that it may have a plug in the outlet side of the heater. I had strong pressure when I hooked a hose up to the drain for the HWH so I am assuming that the inlet wasn't plugged.

Old 08-19-11, 08:02 AM
Super Moderator
I'm thinking that it may have a plug in the outlet side of the heater.
Could be.

What is the pipe material off your home plumbing?

I have seen them clogg right at the outlet nipple. This often occurs with homes that have galvinized water piping.

Mike NJ

Old 08-19-11, 08:17 AM
A
It's copper. I plan on taking the union apart that is before the tee to the rest of the faucets in the house and attempting to blow from a faucet out that end and then checking the the rest of the piping on the outlet side going into the tank.

Old 08-19-11, 08:36 AM
Super Moderator
Let us know what you find. Its always helpfull to post the solution you find.

Mike NJ

Old 08-19-11, 08:39 AM
A
I will for sure post what I find and how I did it. I'm all about helping others out. Thanks.

Old 08-20-11, 11:16 AM
A
I got it going! I turned the breaker off to the HWH and connected a hose to the drain. I closed the water valve going into the HWH and then opened the drain. I also opened 1 of my faucets hot water knob. Then I loosened up the union on the pipe (hot water) going out of the HWH. I turned the water valve back on to feed the HWH..... I did this slowly since I had the hot water side open. I flushed for a little bit and then closed the water feeding the HWH and drain. I slowly reopened the water feed valve and could hear the tank filling and I put the tip of my finger on the pipe coming out of the tank. I could feel the air coming out so I knew it wasn't blocked. I did that until some water started coming out the pipe then I turned the feed into the HWH off and reconnected the pipe. I turned the feed back on and had hot water coming out. I went through the house after that opening each hot water faucet knob to get any air out. Then I turned the breaker on and now I will just monitor and see. I don't know if I had a plug or if it was vapor locked for some reason.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: