Best Electric Water Heater

Old 08-10-11, 04:27 PM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Best Electric Water Heater

Well, my 46 year old Rheem water heater (original to my 1965 home) finally started leaking today - at quite a nice pace! Tankless isn't an option for me since there is no natural gas here and my electric service is only 150 AMPs. I think a heat pump is out too because I don't have a drain for the condensation (they're a bit too pricey too).

So, I'm thinking I should replace it with another electric tank water heater. What brands are the best these days? I'm leaning towards State/A.O. Smith but wanted to check here first.

Thanks!

- Joe

Edit: sorry, forgot to answer your question - water heater is in the garage.

Last edited by joec2000; 08-10-11 at 05:13 PM.
Old 08-10-11, 04:50 PM
Super Moderator
Received 85 Upvotes on 77 Posts
Hi,

First choice AO smith, then bradford white, Rheem.

Living in Florida I would probably take advantage of heat pump HWH.

AO smith only makes 60 and 80 gallon unfortunatly. Rheem has a very nice 40 gallon heat pump unit.

Take advantage of the tax breaks and rebates. But then again although they save $ you would need to run on heat pump only. You may see as much as $25 a month off the HW heating electric usage. But thats what I calculated from thier site.

Rheem Hybrid Electric Water Heater Featuring Heat Pump Technology
Where is the HWH located?

Anyway now that I think about it I would just probably throw a promax in and set the temp to 120F and be done with it. The heaters are around $350.

Standard - Water Heaters Residential by A. O. Smith

If you want the better smith unit the conservationist Is 10 yr parts and tank. All your paying more for is a better dip tube and anode rod.

Conservationist® - Water Heaters Residential by A. O. Smith

Mike NJ

Old 08-10-11, 05:12 PM
J
Hi Mike,

If I was planning on staying in this house for a long time, I'd probably find a way to make the heat pump work but we're going to be moving some time within the next year or two (just had a baby - need something bigger!)

I did some research after I posted this and it is going to be tough to find an A.O. Smith (or any other brand they manufacture). I called a few "dealers" and they're all plumbers that want to come and install the WH for me. Home Depot and Lowes sell Whirlpool and GE - haven't heard good things about them.

I'm going to call one plumbing supplier tomorrow that I've used in the past and hope for the best!

Thanks,

- Joe

Old 08-10-11, 06:19 PM
Super Moderator
Received 85 Upvotes on 77 Posts
Dont know what area your in but ferguson plumbing supply sells AO smith to the public I believe nation wide. They do here in NJ anyway.

Put your zip code in at the top of the page and call the places near you.

Ferguson Locations Finder

Mike NJ

Old 08-10-11, 07:39 PM
J
How ironic - that's the supplier I was referring to! Maybe I'll get lucky.

Old 08-10-11, 08:37 PM
F
Received 39 Upvotes on 31 Posts
There is very little difference among the various brands of electric water heaters. The differences are mainly in the drain valve, the dip tube and the anode rod. The one area where the difference may be notable is in the insulation. Better insulation is normally a good deal but if you only want to stay in your house for another two years or less then buy the least expensive water heater available. Brand, age and manufacturer of a water heater are not significant when selling your house.

Old 08-11-11, 04:30 PM
Received 188 Upvotes on 168 Posts
I have never been fond of electric water heaters because of the cost of operation, but if I didn't have gas available, I'd look into the Marathons as well as the heat pump models. Tank guaranteed not to leak as long as you own your home. Replaceable components have a 6 year warranty.

Marathon Water Heaters

Old 08-12-11, 07:51 AM
J
I ended up buying a State Select 50 gallon electric unit (10 gal larger than my old one). Cost was about $310 out the door including SS flex hoses (not the braided ones), a 3/4" ball valve and a bunch of shark-bite fittings that the plumbing supply place was pushing. I ended up not using the shark-bites so I'll probably return them.

I finished installing it last night at about 11:30 PM and temporarily rigged the electrical so I could take a hot shower. Boy - did it feel good!

- Joe

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: