Water alarm

Old 08-12-11, 08:38 AM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Water alarm

I'm interested in installing a water alarm for my hot water tank and also my washing machine. I found a website Water Alarms & Leak Detectors that has both of these items. They detect a water leak and then shut off the water. I am looking for something reliable. Does anyone have any suggestions on where to get this and do they work. thank you.

Old 08-12-11, 09:20 AM
Super Moderator
Received 85 Upvotes on 77 Posts
I use watts stuff. I guess they may have discontinued the type I used to use that was a one time use prodct. If it got wet it needed to be replaced.

Now they have this. Its probably all I would use for the HWH.

WDS FloodSafe® Water Detector Shutoff, Water Heater Leak Detectors, Water Safety & Flow Control - Watts

Also staying with watts brand, which most plumbers use IMO, I would get this for the washer.

A2C IntelliFlow Automatic Washing Machine Water Shutoff Valves with Leak Sensor - Surface Mount, Washing Machine Shutoffs, Water Safety & Flow Control - Watts

Mike NJ

Old 08-12-11, 09:50 AM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the info. I'll take a look.

Old 08-12-11, 10:03 AM
Super Moderator
Received 85 Upvotes on 77 Posts
IMO as far as the washer goes I would install a single lever washer valve and some good quality braided house. When your done doing laundry you simply slide the handle to turn off the water. Viola...flood safe. Of course you need to remember to do it.

As far as the water heater its best to install the water heater in a pan. It cost more to retrofit a old heater. If the heater is due for replacement install a pan and the water alarm/shut off then. It will be more cost effective IMO.

Mike NJ

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: