Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Plumbing, Piping, Water Heating, Wells, Air & Water Filtration and Conditioning > Water Heaters
Reload this Page >

Tankless water heater - city inspector wants the TPR valve to exit outside

Tankless water heater - city inspector wants the TPR valve to exit outside

Old 08-13-11, 12:22 PM
F
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Automatic gas shutoff valve for tankless?

Does something like a Watts 210 valve exist for tankless water heaters? So when there is pressure build up, it shuts off the gas? I see that this exists for tank style heaters, but I couldn't find one for tankless. Why would this be the case?

Last edited by flyingpolarbear; 08-13-11 at 02:56 PM.
Old 08-13-11, 02:56 PM
F
Received 39 Upvotes on 31 Posts
In my area T&P valves must release to the outside. That doesn't mean that your area is the same as it is a LOCAL code enhancement. If your LOCAL code requires it to release outside then you need to do it or get a waiver from the inspector. That your "patio room" is not considered living space by the appraisal authority is not sufficient reason to waive the (assumed) requirement. In my area most water heaters are located in the attached garage which is not considered living space and the outside release piping is required.

(Original post edited to the point this one makes little sense.)

Old 08-13-11, 03:01 PM
F
Oops I accidentally deleted the original text while editing. Thanks for the response Furd. I just talked to the inspector and I asked him if I could run piping from the T&P up through the roof. He said he didn't like that because then I wouldn't see it dripping. He said he'd research it next week. But what would be the point of having it piped outside anyway if it would be hard to see it dripping on the side of the house? This is one of those code areas that doesn't make any sense at all.

Old 08-13-11, 03:31 PM
Super Moderator
Received 85 Upvotes on 77 Posts
I asked him if I could run piping from the T&P up through the roof. He said he didn't like that because then I wouldn't see it dripping.
You cannot pipe any relief valve up. If it is on a horizontal to its discharge location it must have downward pitch.

The reason is if the relief valve discharges slightly water will be left in the line if it was piped vertical. This water can, and probably will rust. It would cause the relief valve to rust shut.

I will check the code for specifics why some townships want an outside discharge.

Mike NJ

Old 08-13-11, 07:42 PM
F
Originally Posted by lawrosa
I will check the code for specifics why some townships want an outside discharge.
Mike NJ
That would be very interesting to find out. Or why not just allow the discharge to drip out into a pan which then leads to the drain. This is a puzzling area of the local code.

Old 08-13-11, 07:50 PM
Super Moderator
Received 85 Upvotes on 77 Posts
In NJ it must be piped within 6" of floor. But not closer then 1" to the floor.

Also I remeber in apatments we had to discharge to a drain. Mostly tied into the washer stand pipes.

Another duplex complex the town insisted we drill a hole in the floor to the crawl. Install 2.3 bell coupling and drain there.

As far as I remember I have never piped a relief valve to the outside. But again I am in NJ.

I am prestty sure its a township thing. The code only states what I said above. But I need to check to be sure. I dont have the time to look it up now, but I will during the week.

Mike NJ

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: