My GE Hot Water Tank POSITIVE experience

Old 08-22-11, 11:40 AM
P
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Red face My GE Hot Water Tank POSITIVE experience

So here is my GE hot water tank story

Purchased a 50 gallon gas hot water heater from Home Depot 9 years ago and installed it myself. The tank featured a 12 year warranty. Friday morning no hot water! I found the tank leaking at the top, a little water on the floor, and an extinguished burner.
I called GE who verified the warranty was valid and was told to disconnect the tank and take it into Home Depot they would take care of it Next I called Home Depot and talked with their plumbing department They said if GE told me to bring it in they would take care of it.

Before pulling it out I went on line and read a number of user experiences all pretty bad.

I was not sure what to expect at Home Depot.

My son and I drained and pulled the tank and took it into Home Depot. At the Returns counter the clerk was not sure exactly what to do but called a manager. The manager had not dealt with this before and checked with one or two other people while two clerks took the old tank out of my SUV. In the meantime someone was calling GE with the serial and model numbers and the associate from the Plumbing department was tracking down a tank.

Bottom line IN 10 MINUTES I walked out of Home Depot with a new tank a direct exchange. Everyone was great- no hassles whatsoever. The HD folks loaded up the new tank and I installed it that evening.

The only thing I would do differently is to try to get a ticket number from GE when you call if you can so HD can reference it.

Thank you GE and Home Depot! Great service.

Old 08-22-11, 11:55 AM
B
Received 47 Upvotes on 43 Posts
Your next step should be to place all of the paperwork in a large ziplock bag and tape it to the side of the water heater. Include your new receipt if you got one. Write up your experience and include it for reference.

Next, be prepared to determine if your new tank is now covered for 12 years or the three remaining from the old one. Often it is only the remaining three.

As for congratulations, they go to you more than the store and mfg as you had the fortitude to follow through, most don't.

Bud

Old 08-26-11, 02:48 PM
NJT
Upvotes: 0
Received 8 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Include your new receipt if you got one
I might only add to make an additional photocopy of the receipt. You know they print those receipts with disappearing ink!

Old 08-27-11, 07:17 AM
Received 188 Upvotes on 168 Posts
Bottom line IN 10 MINUTES I walked out of Home Depot with a new tank a direct exchange. Everyone was great- no hassles whatsoever. The HD folks loaded up the new tank and I installed it that evening.
And that is how it should be, every time! But, far too often it isn't. HD is a high volume retailer and they really aren't geared to do warranty returns and replacements.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: