Bradford White gas water heater inconsistent

Old 08-24-11, 04:21 PM
L
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Bradford White gas water heater inconsistent

About 10 years ago, we replaced our 15+ year old AO Smith figuring it was living on borrowed time, although it was working ok. Our plumbing contractor installed a Bradford White (40 gal gas) and from the beginning I didn't think it did as good a job as the AO Smith. The biggest problem seems to be consistency. I shower at the same time every morning. One morning I have the turn the shower control almost all the way to the hot side. The next morning, I may have plenty of hot water at a much lower setting. We don't do laundry or run the dishwasher in the morning so essentially there has been no draw on the water heater for 7-8 hours.

Any idea what could cause this?

Old 08-24-11, 04:41 PM
Super Moderator
Received 85 Upvotes on 77 Posts
Hi,

The water in the heater is usually hotter after the gas valve shuts down after temp is made.

This happens during the night as the heater cools the gas will come on and off to maintain temp.

This is Normal.

If you catch it in the morning after the gas has just turned off you will have a hotter shower.

Now if the shower does not last long and cools quickly after say 5 minutes it could be a dip tube issue.

Also it is possible the gas valve is semi faulty, but very rare. The gas valve is also the t stat that senses the temp. If its intermittent it could cause a hotter or colder water temp issue.

Sediment usually causes the water heater to take longer to heat up and ius only a recovery thing.

10 years old? I myself probably would not throw money at it.

40 gallon gas water heaters run about $350 bucks.

I install myself and I only install AO smith.

Mike NJ

Old 08-26-11, 07:53 PM
L
I think you've hit the nail on the head and I'm embarrassed I didn't think about that because I know how they work. It is a little strange that the water in the morning is only warm and lot more often than it's hot but oh well. I wonder if the temperature swing is wider than normal. I have no idea how cool the water gets before the gas fires up to heat it back up.

Old 08-26-11, 08:26 PM
Super Moderator
Received 85 Upvotes on 77 Posts
What is the temp or dial set for?

Mike NJ

Old 09-11-11, 10:06 AM
L
Originally Posted by lawrosa
What is the temp or dial set for?

Mike NJ
It's set at the recommended setting (the red dot) on the dial. I think it's about 135F.

Old 09-12-11, 07:29 AM
R
Do you flush it yearly? A flush, not just drain it.

Old 09-19-11, 02:26 PM
L
Originally Posted by Retired Guy
Do you flush it yearly? A flush, not just drain it.
Flush it? No, never even heard of doing that. I will drain a gallon out once in a while but it always comes out crystal clear (we have a water softener.)

Old 09-24-11, 09:19 AM
O
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
I had the same exact problem, it was very frustrating with the varying temperature depending on the time of day and where I fell in the shower rotation.
I fixed my problem with a tankless water heater. Best move I ever made. The temp is always consistent from start to finish, even for the last person taking a shower while the washing machine is running and I don't wake up at 3 in the morning hearing my water heater running while no one is using it.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: