Hot water heater electrical problems.

Old 09-13-11, 08:08 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
Then you need to check the "spinner" on your water meter with all water turned off.

Old 09-13-11, 09:18 AM
H
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
We have a well. Is there another way to check other than the pressure?

Old 09-13-11, 10:14 AM
Super Moderator
Received 85 Upvotes on 77 Posts
Make sure no water is running in the home. Make sure the well pump is off or the psi gauge is steady.

You said 45 psi.??????

Turn off the main power to the pump. Let the well sit with no power for alittle while. Watch the pressre gauge. Do you loose pressure?

Mike NJ

Old 09-13-11, 10:51 AM
Super Moderator
I think they might have a submersible pump.

Mike NJ

Old 09-13-11, 11:20 AM
H
We do have a submersible pump.

Old 09-13-11, 11:48 AM
Super Moderator
OK did you do what I said about the pressure in post #43????????

Mike NJ

Old 09-13-11, 11:50 AM
H
Not yet, waiting for my husband to get here. Thank you.

Old 09-13-11, 03:07 PM
H
Ok, we shut the power off to the pump, do you measure the pressure from the pressure guage that is on the pressure tank? If so, it went from 45PSI to 0.

Old 09-13-11, 03:18 PM
Super Moderator
Yes that is the gauge you are to look at.

If it went from 45 to 0 psi and your sure no water was running in the house, you most likely have a slab leak.

If the water heater is still on, then when you turn the pump back on, feel the hot water line out of the heater. Hot? Means water is running.

Also with nothing running in the home and the pump back on, you should see that pressure gauge cycle up and down. 20-45 psi and back and forth.

Look around in the bathrooms. Sometimes water comes up from the slab in the home. Look outside the home by the bathrooms on the ground by the foundation. Look for wet areas.

Let us know.

Just a note if it is a slab leak it will cost some $$$ to fix. I would call a plumber out that deals with slab leaks and have them check it out.

Mike NJ

Old 09-13-11, 03:58 PM
NJT
Received 8 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Also with nothing running in the home and the pump back on, you should see that pressure gauge cycle up and down. 20-45 psi and back and forth.
Just to clarify this a bit... with no water running in the home, you would only see the gauge cycle IF you had a leak somewhere.

Under NORMAL conditions, you would only see the gauge cycle when you were using water.

Old 09-13-11, 04:13 PM
H
ok, the hot water line is not hot, no water running in the house and the pressure guage is at 45. Also, if there is a leak in the slab would you hear water running in the bathroom walls? We can hear the water in the pipes.

Old 09-13-11, 04:17 PM
H
The guage is staying at 45 and it is not cycling, the highest it went was 50. If you had a leak wouldn't it go down?

Old 09-13-11, 05:03 PM
Received 4 Upvotes on 4 Posts
back to mike's questions, are you on a well or city water?

Old 09-13-11, 05:08 PM
Super Moderator
Ok, we shut the power off to the pump, do you measure the pressure from the pressure guage that is on the pressure tank? If so, it went from 45PSI to 0.
Why did it go to 0 here and now its staying at 45?

And yes do you have a water meter??????? The well may just be for irrigation if you have a well at all.

Your answers are very vaugue and to help you you need to be more specific with your answers. I feel we are just running around in circles here.

I know this is a DIY site but if you are not sure its best to hire a pro sometimes.

Mike NJ

Old 09-13-11, 05:13 PM
H
We had the electricity off to the pump and pressure tank.

Old 09-13-11, 05:18 PM
H
I did state that we had a well and that it did go to the house. I have hired a pro(electrician ) and I have a plumber coming tomorrow and I truly appreciate the help you all have given. Again thank you and have a great rest of the evening.

Old 09-13-11, 05:19 PM
Super Moderator
Please let us know what happens. The suspense is going to kill me....LOL

Mike NJ

Old 09-13-11, 05:24 PM
H
Better to be killed by suspense, than going crazy when we can't figure this out! Not only we need a professional opinion. I need a wig from pulling my hair out!

Old 09-13-11, 05:32 PM
Super Moderator
Whats your husband been doing through all of this??????...LOL

Mike NJ

Old 09-13-11, 05:36 PM
H
Running and checking on all of this, turning the electricity on and off, installing new water heaters and watching me boil water to do dishes and laundry and pulling my hair out! lol

Old 09-14-11, 04:15 PM
NJT
Received 8 Upvotes on 6 Posts
What did the plumber find?

Old 09-14-11, 04:29 PM
Super Moderator
" You have entered a dimension, not only of sight and sound, but of mind. Your next stop"......

Oh sorry wrong channel...

Mike NJ

Old 09-14-11, 06:17 PM
Received 190 Upvotes on 170 Posts
ok, the hot water line is not hot, no water running in the house and the pressure guage is at 45. Also, if there is a leak in the slab would you hear water running in the bathroom walls? We can hear the water in the pipes.
Not sure why no one else picked up on this, but this may be close to your problem. If there is no water running in the house, you shouldn't be hearing water running in the pipes.

Old 09-14-11, 06:27 PM
Super Moderator
Yeah we know, but did you read through some of the answers we got?

Mike NJ

Old 09-15-11, 07:43 AM
H
We have a water leak. That is the reason that our electric bill is so high. The water heater runs 24/7 and can't keep up with hot water. So, now we are in the process of finding the leak. We have a major process here. Stethascope anyone? lol Again, thank you all so much. This is such a great group of people I am so thankful that we joined this forum!

Old 09-15-11, 07:58 AM
Super Moderator
Just to let you know, sometimes after you fix one slab leak others appear later down the road. It just seams to work that way sometimes.

Anyway if the plumbers in your area know what they are doing, it may be cost effective to get a price an a total repipe.

The repipe would be of pex pipe. (plastic) The new lines would be installed in the attic and dropped down to the fixture. I have done many this way.

Its just a thought. I dont know the layout of your home.

They also have a pipe treatment that injects a substance in the pipe that coats the inside with plastic. It seals most small sized leak. Its called ACE DURAFLOW. Look it up.

I would get a price on all possible solutions before you proceed with the repair.

Mike NJ

Old 09-15-11, 08:14 AM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
The repipe would be of pex pipe. (plastic) The new lines would be installed in the attic and dropped down to the fixture. I have done many this way.
When I first joined this forum I was amazed that water pipes are sometimes run under slabs. Almost all houses here are slab and the pipes are always run in the attic. Of course the poster is in Nebraska and even down here the pipes sometimes do freeze in the attic.

Old 09-15-11, 11:10 AM
H
Do you have any ideas on what to use to detect the leak other than tearing everything apart. Is there an electronic device that we could use.

Old 09-15-11, 11:27 AM
Super Moderator
Stethascope type device. The trick is finding a gut that knows how to use it. Otherwise you end up with many holes in your floor. I had a good record. Always within 2 ft.

Also other devices help. I also used a laser thermometer. Floors would tend to hover 60'ish degrees. When you find where the leak is, and because its hot water, the temp in that spot would be much warmer. 20 degrees at least.

Like I said its all who you get and thier knowledge. And also what they offer besides jackhammering. There are always alternatives.

Mike NJ

Old 09-15-11, 11:33 AM
H
Oh I know, we have got a couple of bids, holy cats, they are expensive and what they want to do is redo everything and put it in the walls, tear out sheet rock in places and oh, what a mess. We have floor tiles in the bathroom that are warm. I truly believe that is where it is. When you turn the hot water on it's like having a heated floor! Dang wish you were here! lol

Old 09-15-11, 12:31 PM
Super Moderator
You should not have to rip out anywalls if you have an attic above. Also in most slabs homes there is a manifold in the wall. You can find the hot and cold going to that bathroom group and repipe that area only through the attic.

This is what I mean about finding the right guy. LOL.. they are already rippingout walls and floors...ha,ha. Its funny to me how someguys have no clue.

All I can say is watch out.

Mike NJ

Old 09-15-11, 08:04 PM
H
How do we find the manifold. We did find the leak. Went to Home depot and got the laser thermometer. Thank you Mike! We went through the house and got the temps on the floor where the pipes are. They averaged 65-68. Then took the path to the bathroom where the warm tiles were and the temp in one spot was 85 under the vanity. It was the warmest spot on the floor and it is ceramic tile. Also we found a spot same spot where it was 85, it had been patched with cement so there had been a previous leak same spot. No, they haven't ripped into my walls and they aren't going to either. Thanks so much again Mike!

Old 09-15-11, 09:04 PM
Super Moderator
The manifold is typically low in the wall where you main comes in, or around by the water heater. That is the place you would cut the sheet rock to expose.

Could not find a good pic but the manifold in the wall will look something like this.

Basically follow the hot water line from the water heater where it goes into the wall. The manifold should be in that bay down towards the floor.

Now there are sub maniflolds that may be in other areas also. You should know by looking at the main manifold. But all this depends on what you are going to do.

If there is a patch and you think its leaking from the same repair then it may be easy re go back in there.
It will look like this.

Mike NJ

Old 09-15-11, 09:10 PM
H
You are so kind, and a life saver also. This is terrific and that it almost identical to the patch size we found. This is a tremendous help. Have a great rest of the evening!!!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: