State Select Power Vented Water Heater going into Lock Out

Old 10-07-11, 01:18 PM
L
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Post State Select Power Vented Water Heater going into Lock Out

Have a 7 year old State Select Power Vent unit (model PR6 50 XCVIT). It was going into lockout during the control sequence. I sanded the sensor as recommended in previous formus and seemed to have solved the problem and it worked well for several months. It started happening again so I sanded and steel wooled the sensor again. It corrected the problem but now the unit is going into lockout after it heats for 10-15 minutes. The unit will shut down then immediately restart the control sequence again. It will purge and the HSI will glow. I hear a click like the gas valve opens but nothing. The HSI will turn off and the sequence will start over again. After 3 tries it goes into lock out. If I immediately reset the unit, it will go thru 3 sequence tries and back into lockout. However, if I wait for 15 minutes or so then reset, it will ignite and usually warm the water and turn off when the temp is reached. Any ideas?

Old 10-07-11, 01:44 PM
Super Moderator
Received 85 Upvotes on 77 Posts
Hi,

It sounds like the Hot suface igniter. It is part of the flame sensor and is sold as an assembly.

There are test procedures that you can use to test it. You need a ohm meter. Do you have one and know how to use it?

Also id this a intellivent valve that shows 3 lights Vac / a and b lighting up? Or is this a smart valve with one grren light on the side? And if one green light, what code is it showing? ( How many times does it flash?)

Mike NJ

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: