Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Plumbing, Piping, Water Heating, Wells, Air & Water Filtration and Conditioning > Water Heaters
Reload this Page >

Half Size Water Heater Not Heating Long Enough for 1 Shower Need Advice

Half Size Water Heater Not Heating Long Enough for 1 Shower Need Advice

Old 11-05-11, 09:57 AM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question Half Size Water Heater Not Heating Long Enough for 1 Shower Need Advice

OK I have Half Size Water Heater (maybe 20 gal) in Mobile Home.

The water heater will not provide enough hot water for 1 shower.

I have tried putting a bigger element and changing to 220 Volts..
It changed it a bit but STILL NOT ENOUGH FOR 1 SHOWER.

QUESTION: HOW DO I GET THIS WATER HEATER TO PROVIDE ENOUGH HOT WATER FOR 1 SHOWER????

Your help is appreciated...Thank you

Old 11-05-11, 10:01 AM
Super Moderator
Received 85 Upvotes on 77 Posts
Is this a side inlet/outlet for the water connection?

Mike NJ

Old 11-05-11, 11:18 AM
F
Received 39 Upvotes on 31 Posts
Set the thermostat higher and mix more cold water at the shower.

OR, install an ultra low flow head and take Navy showers. Wet yourself, turn off the shower, soap up, turn on the shower and rinse.

BTW, how did that painting project work out?

Old 11-10-11, 09:14 PM
C
Will check on the inlet/outlet and let you know. Thanks

Old 11-10-11, 09:18 PM
C
Ha!! That might be OK for me but its for Special Needs Person and the control knob for hot cold is the ONE Circular Control for Hot/Cold. and she really cannot do a quick shower like others.

So..I am going to check what type inlet /outlet and respond back to other response in an attempt to get serious answer. Thanks anyway.

Old 11-10-11, 09:27 PM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
Have you considered building a water heater lean-to out back for a full size heater. That is common here and with a little effort not be an eyesore.

Old 11-13-11, 10:59 AM
F
Received 39 Upvotes on 31 Posts
I like long HOT showers. I need to have the thermostat set higher than is normally considered prudent (above 140 degrees) and mix in more cold water to get the long shower I desire. I DO have a single handle shower valve (a Moen) with a hand-held shower from which I removed any flow restrictors. With this set-up AND a 50 gallon heater I am able to take showers in excess of 20 minutes first thing in the morning and probably 30 minutes if the hot water has been used recently.

In my previous home I had a 40 gallon electric water heater and I had to install high watt rating elements in order to get a decent shower. I eventually installed an 80 gallon water heater and then no more problems.

CAUTION! If you raise the temperature setting of the water heater the water temperature CAN BE HAZARDOUS, especially to a person who cannot sense temperature changes readily. This is why I strongly recommend a tempering valve be installed to limit the temperature of the water available at the faucet while still allowing a higher temperature to be stored in the heater.

Your only other options are a larger tank, a gas-fired water heater or a tankless water heater. Tankless heaters have many problems of their own that are different from tank-type water heaters.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: