Hot Water Regulator

Old 11-16-11, 10:49 AM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Hot Water Regulator

I recently purchase a home and have replaced the hot water heater twice now do to the water pressure being too high. I contacted my water company who said I have 140 bls of water pressure on the back side of the house and since its on the other side of the main, I would need to have a water regulator installed. I am not sure what to do or what the cost would be. Has anyone had this situation before who could give me some good advise?

Thanks,
Margie

Old 11-16-11, 11:13 AM
Super Moderator
Received 8 Upvotes on 8 Posts
A pressure regulator should be installed. I'm surprised you don't have one already if the main pressure is that high. You should do it quick before faucet or toilet supply lines blow out.

First thing is to verify what the water pressure is AT THE HOUSE...not what the company supplies. A $10 gauge can be purchased at a hardware store or home center and screwed on to an outside spigot or a washing machine connection. 50-60 lbs is normal

Is your main water line accessible in the basement, crawlspace or garage? If so, it would probably be a 1 hr job for someone who knows what they are doing.

I would look at your main water lines and see if you have something that looks something like this

If you do need one installed, you should have them put cutoff valves on each side of it in case it ever needs repair or replacement in the future.

You will also need to have an expansion tank installed at the water heater if you don't already have one...another 1 hr job most likely.

Old 11-16-11, 11:24 AM
D
Thank you so much for answering my question. My water heater is in the garage. I do not have anything that looks like the pic. I am not sure where the main line runs into the house.

Could this be the reason I am not getting a lot of water pressure thoughout the house? I have good water pressure in the bathroom, but the water pressue in the kitchen is very low.

Again, thank you for answering my question and as you can see - I know nothing about plumbing.

Old 11-16-11, 11:39 AM
Super Moderator
No Expert...but I know a little.

Details would be a big help. How old is the house? What are the pipes, that you can see, made of, copper, galvanized steel, some sort of plastic? Is both hot and cold low pressure at the sink? As many details as you can think of. Don't worry if you think it doesn't matter, let the Pro's here figure it out.

No, that's not the issue with pressure...if you really have 140 lbs supply...your pressure would be huge everywhere. Most likely you have a blockage somewhere in the line to the kitchen, but first you should unscrew the aerator on the end of the faucet and see if it improves.

Lets stay on the subject of the regulator for now...that could blow lines and cause huge amounts of damage if it's not corrected (if it really needs to be corrected).

Old 11-16-11, 11:57 AM
D
gunguy
How do you adjust the regulator? I went under the house and I found one.

Old 11-16-11, 12:04 PM
Super Moderator
Received 85 Upvotes on 77 Posts
As gunguy stated before you do anything you need to know the pressure in the home. All may be working fine. You will not know what step to take next until you buy one of these and hook it to a hose outside hose bib or valve that goes to the washing machine.

Mike NJ

Old 11-16-11, 12:11 PM
D
the water pressure to the house is 140 psi

Old 11-16-11, 12:20 PM
Super Moderator
No..the water pressure in the main line in the street may be 140...but unless someone has checked it at the house as we have described...you don't really know.

One other thing...how did your water heaters (WH) fail? If it was just leaking out of the over-pressure valve, you may just need an expansion tank.

Old 11-16-11, 12:24 PM
D
The water pressure was tested by the water company at an outside water vaule and it was 140psi

Old 11-16-11, 12:38 PM
Super Moderator
Ah, well, you never really said that. Here's one problem. Many homes are plumbed so that the outside spigots get full pressure for sprinklers, hoses, whatever. Everything inside is after the regulator. Thats why I mentioned checking at the washing machine connection.

Now since you found a pressure regulator...it could have indeed failed, which is a big issue. Since you already have one though, it will be easier to replace it if needed.

Old 11-16-11, 01:45 PM
Super Moderator
Received 85 Upvotes on 77 Posts
If indeed they tested your pressure at 140 psi then the pressure reducing valve should be replaced. Adjusting it will probably do nil.

The new PRV valves that you would purchase have a range of 25-75psi and are preset to 50psi. So if you are not going to get a pressure gauge then just install a new prv valve and you should be good as far as pressure is conserned.

And as gunguy mentioned, you need a expansion tank. Hot water expands and needs a place to go. Because you have a PRV you have a closed system. The expansion tank will absord this expansion to keep the pressures more constant.

Hope this helps.

Mike NJ

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: