Look what I found (electrical short in water heater?)

Old 12-31-11, 09:19 AM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Look what I found (electrical short in water heater?)

I have a 8 years old A.O. Smith electric water heater which came with the house; so the original heater.

I noticed today that there was some rusty water in the drip pan. I then went to take off the heater blanket that I put on it a while ago (the heater is in the garage) to inspect it for external leaks.

No leaks outside... so I am guessing the heater needs to go... but...

I also opened two access ports to see if I can see any water weeping or whatever in there. When I opened a lower port, I see this:

Now isn't that special?

I now have even less confidence into this heater but am wondering - apparently there was some overheating etc going on here, the wire burned through (I guess one of heater elements went) but - it never threw a fuse? What's up with that?

Old 12-31-11, 09:25 AM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
but - it never threw a fuse? What's up with that?
Fuses burn not throw. Do you have breakers or fuses? What size? What size supply wire.

Old 12-31-11, 09:49 AM
B
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Yeah... breakers... I guess I have my terminology miexed up, eh... but to answer your question - I am not sure of sizes; the panel is not immediately accessible after I just "reorganized" the garage to have full access to the heater, LOL.

Old 12-31-11, 10:06 AM
Group Moderator
Received 899 Upvotes on 760 Posts
You did not have a short or the breaker would have tripped.

You have a loose/poor connection, which caused lots of heat, which caused the connection to fail. Lucky it did not start the plastic on fire!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: