LP Water Heater Pilot Light Orifice

Old 01-01-12, 10:19 PM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
LP Water Heater Pilot Light Orifice

I am having a problem with my LP water heater pilot light. It will not light. This is an old 30 gallon Rheem, ca. 1980, but the pressure regulator/thermostat is only about 3 years old. Neither Rheem tech service nor anyone local could help me.

I believe the pilot orifice is plugged. It is of the insert type, and the orifice itself is almost microscopic, and I can't get anything through it. Rheem TS recommended soaking it in solvent, but would not specify a solvent. I did put some acetone through it, and it would drip through the orifice, so maybe it is now OK. I have not yet tried it as the heater in question is at my trailer house about 150 miles from here and I do not get there often.

Anyway, I would like to get a new orifice just to be sure but no one locally seems to have any. It goes into a threaded fitting connected to a 1/4" tubing connection. I have not tried to remove the insert, but it seems to be quite tight. My questions are: 1. exactly how do I remove the existing orifice insert? 2. where can I get a new LP replacement orifice insert? I see these advertised in various places on the internet for less than $10, but I do not know which one to order. Will any LP insert orifice of that type work?

Old 01-03-12, 06:59 PM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
What I described as a pressure regulator below is I think called a gas control unit. I know there is gas coming from the gas control unit to the pilot light, as I connected a piece of tubing to it, turned the control to the pilot light setting, and let the gas bubble through a container of water.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: