need some advice on hooking up a gas hot water heater

Old 01-08-12, 10:10 PM
E
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
need some advice on hooking up a gas hot water heater

I have 1 that is already hooked up but is ready to go any time now. Have had it for over 12 years and when I hooked the water lines to it I did'nt realize that it was galvanized steel and I went ahead and hooked up copper pipe directly to it. Now it has begun eating away at the top of the heater,I'm guessing the last 3 years.

I just went out and bought a new water heater and it to has the same type of fitting.

I got myself 2 of these nipples that are galvanized steel with blue plastic on the inside of the fittings.

Now my problem is these are 3/4 inch and my water supply line to the heater and hot water going out is 1/2 inch copper.

Is there any fittings that I can get that goes from 3/4 galvanized to 1/2 copper without causing it to corrode again?

I was thinking about getting the stainless steel supply kit but will this work with copper or should I attempt cpvc pipe,? And are there ways to hook this up to 1/2 inch copper.

If it was'nt for me bumbling up the heater that is now being used it would probably be good for another 12 years.

Any and all help is appreciated. Thanks

John

Old 01-08-12, 10:55 PM
Super Moderator
Received 85 Upvotes on 77 Posts
I use those di electric nipples that come with the heaters. They come with the heaters because the manufacures dont wabt you screwing copper right into the heater. That would be worse.

The only protection those dielectric nipples really do is that they are plastic lined on the inside so it will keep the line from closing up from corossion.

Your best bet IMO is to use brass nipples in the water heater. Then attach anything you want to them. Copper, steel, galvinized....etc.

Mike NJ

Old 01-15-12, 10:22 AM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
HD/LOWES just get a copper 3/4" MPT X 1/2" swet adapter teflon the threaded end and slam it in..while your redoing it treat yourself to 2-1/2" ball valves and 2 1/2"swet unions so when your 80yrs old you can flip a new one in without soldering the female connections on all HWHs are steel threaded..if you use the dialectric nipples just go with a copper 3/4"FMP X 1/2 "swet

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: