Water Heater only gets hot when the heat is on

Old 01-14-12, 11:37 AM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Water Heater only gets hot when the heat is on

I had my gas water heater replaced a week ago.

My gas water heater heats my water, and is also responsible for heating my place.

If the heat is not on, the thermometer on the main pipe (the one that both the cold and hot pipes feed into) reads between 80-100F, and in the shower, I only get luke-warm water...

However, if I turn the heat on, the thermometer shoots up quickly to the 120-130F range and I get a nice, hot, comfortable shower... As long as I keep the heat on...

So why does this happen? Why can't I get the tank up to the 120-130 range by simply turning on the hot water?

Old 01-14-12, 12:00 PM
J
Hi Dman, I am not a plumbing or heating guy but when they see this, they are going to ask for a whole lot more info and probably some photos. You should get at least the make and model #, and some overall and close up photos of the whole installation ready to post when they ask. The pros on here are really good but they aren't mind readers or have long distance x ray vision. Sorry, that last line was a little harsh but bottom line is that the more you can give them, the more and faster they can help you.

Good luck with it!
Jim

Old 01-14-12, 12:08 PM
D
Thanks for the heads up Jkuzma.

The make is a Bradford White. The model # is PDX265T6FBN.

Here's a link: PDX2-65T6FBN - Bradford White PDX2-65T6FBN - 65 Gallon - 65,000 BTU Defender Safety System PDX2 Power Direct Vent Energy Saver Residential Water Heater (Nat Gas)

In addition, one of these is attached:

Flex 2 Water Expansion tank, model PH5, 2.1 gallons.

Amazon.com: Flexcon Industries PH-5 Expansion Tank, 2.1-Gallon: Home Improvement

I can attempt to get some pics up later, if it will help.

Old 01-14-12, 01:02 PM
Super Moderator
Received 85 Upvotes on 77 Posts
That water heater is not made for space heating. From looking up the models # anyway. There needs to be ports on the side for space heating.

However they piped it I would say is wrong and most likely not to code from what you are saying.

Pics will help a great deal.

But be ready.......

Mike NJ

Old 01-15-12, 10:12 AM
S
sure it's not a boiler your referring tooo??? but the heating stat is driving the unit to heat the water so it satifies the space stat the domestic is from the tank gas valve setting only...i think

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: