5-month old A.O. Smith GPVH 40 won't light, no gas?

Old 01-21-12, 01:50 AM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
5-month old A.O. Smith GPVH 40 won't light, no gas?

Mike,

I hope you're out there and can help.

Model: A.O. Smith GPVH 40 100
Serial: 1126A017334
Built: 7/1/2011
Installed: 8/23/2011

It's 4:46 AM Saturday morning and I have a call into a plumber, who I expect will call me back sometime today. Any ideas before he calls?

Old 01-21-12, 05:25 AM
                Group Moderator
                Received 264 Upvotes on 215 Posts
                Mod note: Moved you out of that old thread into a fresh one.

Old 01-21-12, 06:21 AM
                Super Moderator
                Received 85 Upvotes on 77 Posts
                Well it was installed less then 1 yr so its all under warranty parts and labor.

I hope you called a authorized service tech in your area. It will not cost a dime. If you called a regular plumber it may cost you.

As far as what is wrong it could be a lot of things and various test need to be done. Although there are not many parts that can go wrong.

The hot serface igniter has a resistor on the molex connector that goes into the gas valve. These often fail and give the wrong resistance value. This needs to be tested with a multi meter.

Sometimes the fan pressure switch fails to pull in. There can be a multitude of reasons.

Gas pressures need to be checked with a monometer properly to determine if its the gas valve or regulator in the home.

Electrical polarity plays a part with the outlet and it should be on its own circuit. And no flouresant lights on the circuit. It causes some issues.

Hope this helps.

Like I said you are covered under warranty.

Here is where you find a proper service provider. You need to show proof of purchase date or install date.

Find a Service Provider > A. O. Smith Water Heaters

Mike NJ

Old 01-25-12, 09:24 AM
                T
                Thank you!

Mike, thanks for the input. I confirmed with the installer (who was NOT listed as an authorized service provider on the AO Smith website) that their work was guaranteed for a year, and of course parts were covered, so I was able to get this fixed with zero out-of-pocket expenses. FYI, when I did call an authorized service provider, they indicated that even if they had installed the water heater, some labor may not be covered if it wasn't related to the install, so others, please be aware of this.

FYI, it was the solenoid in the gas valve (made by Honeywell); the installer had to try two valves (and in turn drain the tank twice) before it would work. You'd think they'd put a cutoff between the valve and the inlet to the tank, but I don't know the mechanics of the inlet.

Thanks again!

Old 02-01-12, 11:25 AM
                B
                can not get main burner to light

I have an AO Smith hot water heater Model GVR 50 101; my pilot does light and remain lit but I am not able to get my main burner to light, can you help?

Old 10-16-13, 05:37 PM
                M
                Angry AO SMITH GPVH40 DOES NOT STAY LIT. only 6 month OLD what a piece of ***hit !!

I am very disappoiinted on this water heater and so much crap and headache, I will never buy one again. PSEG charges me over 1900 for ;this junk. in any way I was looking into issue and I have the exaxct same issue here despite cleaning the flame sensor twice in same day. A + B light stay lit and no flame no no GO. We had bradford White water heater for 10 years before this junk and we never had this type of this issues for half the price. A O JUNK SMITH for that matter. mad as hell.

I will be calling the Authorized serivice adn update on this issue. what a headache.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
                Question Title:
                Description:
                Your question will be posted in: