Water heater pilot won't stay lit.

Old 01-27-12, 08:40 PM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Water heater pilot won't stay lit.

I have a State Sandblaster SBT 100-199 gas water heater. The pilot light will light (and is blue) only as long as the gas valve is pushed down (i.e. manual bypass for lighting the pilot light). While lit, the thermocouple heats up and produces about 100 millivolts. Once the valve is released though, the pilot shuts off.

The ECO switch is closed (shorted). Is that normal? Is the the EC switch on a State water heater normally open or normally closed? It seems to me like the ECO would normally be open but when I disconnect the ECO line, the pilot still won't stay lit.

I'm trying to decide if I have a bad gas valave or if the ECO is preventing the pilot light from staying lit.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Old 01-28-12, 07:09 AM
G
either replace the thermocouple or first make sure the thermocouple is in the correct position ( engulfed by the pilot flame).

Old 01-28-12, 08:29 AM
B
Yep....I've checked it and like I said, the thermocouple produces about 100 millivolt while the pilot is burning.

Old 01-28-12, 08:59 AM
S
clean the opening on the gas valve where the TC screws into and the TC copper point....should be holding when you go to ON on the knob

Old 01-28-12, 09:23 AM
B
I will trying cleaning it however, I have taken the thermocouple off (in fact another guy replaced it becuase he thought the TC was shorted and didn't know how to actually check it by checking the voltage when it was heated). Seems to me that I've already checked to insure that the 100 mv travels up to the thermostat and back down to the gas valve. That's how I came to realize that the ECO is actually closed. It appears to me that the ECO simply shorts out the TC. If that were so, it would seem like I would be able to temporarily disconnect the ECO and the gas valve should work again. But maybe I'm missing something. That's why I'm really trying to find out if the ECO is open or closed in normal operation and/or if the gas valve should work normally when the ECO is disconnected. I can't hardly beleive that the ECO and the gas valve would both fail at the same time. btw, the gas valve is Robertshaw 7000BMVR gas valve like eBay - New & used electronics, cars, apparel, collectibles, sporting goods & more at low prices

Additional thoughts?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: