How Does This Pressure Tank Install Look?

Old 02-14-12, 12:35 PM
J
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
How Does This Pressure Tank Install Look?

Hello,

I had a new water heater and pressure tank installed last week. The plumber was professional and I think he did a good job - I just don't know much about pressure tanks. I wasn't really expecting it to be installed horizontally but don't really know if the orientation of it matters at all.

For what it's worth, the old tank was installed 90 degrees counter clock wise to how this one is installed. He turned it so that the control valve is now facing outward so it can be easily accessed. He had to adjust the water input, output, and gas line to make it all line up.

Here are some pictures of the install - does everything look ok to you?

Thanks!

Old 02-14-12, 01:31 PM
Super Moderator
Received 85 Upvotes on 77 Posts
That strap looks kind of hokey.....

Its not a deal breaker. Its preferred to be installed vertical. I read the instructions and it does not specify.

I would not worry about it but I would remove that strap and piece of pipe, and install a proper support.

Whats most important is did the installer adjust the pressure of the tank?? These are preset to 40psi but they need to be adjusted to what your house pressure is. A lot of uys dont know this.

I would prefer it being vertical and a ball valve placed in between the tank and water line for ease of replacement.

Here are the instructions for the watts brand. You should have similar instructions with your tank.

http://media2.wattswater.com/2915054.pdf

Mike NJ

Old 02-15-12, 06:41 AM
J
Thanks, Lawrosa. How do I check the pressure of the tank? Can I just use a regular tire gauge?

Old 02-15-12, 06:58 AM
Super Moderator
Received 85 Upvotes on 77 Posts
Yes regular tire gauge but you need to relive pressure from the hot water line.

Shut off the hot water valve and open a hot side only on a faucet until water stops flowing. Then adjust the pressure to what your house pressure is.

Example: If house psi is 70 the add 70 psi air to the tank.

Mike NJ

Old 02-15-12, 07:05 AM
J
Got it. Thanks very much.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: