water too hot, replaced thermostats, turned off power...still too hot

Old 02-23-12, 08:00 AM
H
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
water too hot, replaced thermostats, turned off power...still too hot

Woke up to no hot water, thought back and realized the past few days the hot water did seem hotter than normal. Must have gotten too hot, activated switch on top tstat to turn it off...so it had cooled down. So I pushed reset, water heats up for a few hours (I did not measure temp, just happy to feel hot water) while I go buy new thermostats.

So I put in both new thermostats, leave at "120 / factory setting" which is a bit above the lowest mark. Few hours later, water feels very hot, so measure temp. 150. I thought maybe it was just still hot from earlier, so plan is to shut off overnight, then in the morning, double check that the tstats are clicked in and attached properly and turn back on, wait a few hours, and check water to see if it's around 120 (where tstats are set) and replacing thermostats fixed the problem.

So I turn power off to the WH overnight via circuit breaker box switch, but this morning, 14 hours later and after two hot showers, temp is about 135. My question is... a drop from 150 to 135 doesn't seem like much for almost 14 hours. Can it possibly still be that hot? How long should I expect to wait for it to drop. I mean, the thing is off. Unless it appears to not be getting power (so shows my little tester), but some how some part of it is?

Old 02-23-12, 01:49 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,323 Upvotes on 2,066 Posts
Yes, it can still be that hot. A water heater is a nicely insulated thermos bottle and you've got a huge thermal mass so it will still be at least warm after several days.

Good to remember when you have a power outage.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: