Gas hot water heater making a whining noise

Old 03-07-12, 08:56 AM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Gas hot water heater making a whining noise

I have a 50 gallon gas hot water heater that was installed a couple months ago. It has been making a whining noise since. The noise sounds like when you run your finger around the top of a wine glass. It only makes the noise when the burner is running. My tank is inside our laundry room, in a vented closet. When I open the door, the noise becomes louder. When I cut the valve back on the gas line, the noise goes away. Does not make the noise when a faucet is running water. Only when the burner is running. Maybe too much pressure from my gas line? My previous water heater, same size, did not have this problem. Thanks.

Old 03-12-12, 01:56 PM
R
Anyone have any suggestions on how to fix this problem?

Old 03-12-12, 08:41 PM
C
I've seen this type of problem on a commercial fryer/nat. gas. It whistled when it came on, but a slight adjustment on the regulator would solve it. It sounds like your problem is pressure related but there is no adjusting a water heater regulator. Maybe you could add a reg. upstream and tweak the pressure, but if this heater is only a few months old I would think that the manufacturer should be accomodating.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: