water heater venting ducts

Old 03-10-12, 11:14 AM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
water heater venting ducts

Hello, I have a 40 gallon water heater that was installed by a professional 3 years ago. The gas and electric company came by a couple months ago and said it is not up to code because the venting ducting needs to be at a 45 degree angle and it is in an S-curve. You could even see rust on the ducting.

My question: could this cause damage the heater? I ask because this unit replaced a 30 gallon heater which wasn't supplying enough hot water. Over the past few days, I noticed that the new unit is also running out of hot water qucikly. To make matters worse the plumber is saying they won't honor the warranty. Your advice is greatly appreciated.

Old 03-10-12, 11:39 AM
Super Moderator
Received 69 Votes on 61 Posts
Would you be able to take a few pics?

Post to a free site like photo bucket.com and then post the links to those pics back here.

I believe its 45 degree when it ties into a Y on another vent, like a boiler or furnace. As long as the straight run, it needs to be pitched but not on a 45 as far as I recall or ever piped vents.

Mike NJ

Mike NJ

Old 03-10-12, 12:48 PM
D
I've posted 3 pictures and link is below. 2 pictures show rust. The third show a piece that I just noticed is broken. It doesn't seem to be imortant but what would break that?

rust2.jpg picture by daufoi - Photobucket

Old 03-10-12, 03:20 PM
Super Moderator
Received 69 Votes on 61 Posts
There is a gap at the elbow that attaches to the draft hood on the water heater. It should be screwed to it.

Dangerous CO is leaking and you can become dead. Get it fixed asap. Shut the heater down until its fixed.

With a vent that close to the heater they should have installed a low boy heater. This would allow a proper vent connection.

There are things that can be done. The elbow going into the double wall vent in the ceiling can be inserted a lot further. Once that is done you should have enough room to have the pipe pitch down towards the heater. Then most likely a short piece added at the top of the draft hood.

Replace that vent with new. Dont worry about that broken plastic piece.

Mike NJ

Old 03-10-12, 04:07 PM
D
Thanks lawrosa. The plumber came out today and replaced the ducting and checked for CO2 leak. Pictures of the new duct are below. Hopefully everything will work out.

Image03102012154130.jpg picture by daufoi - Photobucket

Old 07-18-12, 09:39 AM
T
One manufacturer claims that turning the vent pipe immediately after the draft hood, and then running "horizontal" will decrease the "pulling" power of the fumes in the piping, which will cause condensation/rust in the pipe.

It will also cause combustion difficulties and perhaps further condensation difficulties in the flue tube and baffle.

In short, the w/h will be running at up to 50% less efficiency, and costing a whole lot of money and pollution.

Old 07-18-12, 06:46 PM
D
which company is that ?.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: