Need to heat up my water quicker

Old 03-13-12, 07:26 AM
A
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Need to heat up my water quicker

I have a bathroom a good distance from the hot water tank with one shower and two sinks. I need to run the water for a few minutes just to get it hot so I thought of augmenting this with a instant electric tankless heater. First quiz should I get one heater to feed this room or one for each sink/shower? All I want to do is save water and not freeze when I first get into the shower.

Old 03-13-12, 07:50 AM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
I had a similar system at my lake home (used every week-end summer or winter down to -40F). - My problem child was a kitchen that was about 45 feet from my water heater in a small basement. The bath, washer and dryer were immediately above the basement that had an LP water heater. Because of the distance, I abandoned the in slab run to the kitchen sink, replaced with an overhead copper line) and installed a small electric water heater under the corner sink. - Similar to a instant water, but a conventional heater fed with warm water and much cheaper and easier. I did crank up the temperature on the under sink heater since the real hot water was not needed in the bath or washer area above the main heater.

I turned it off when I left on Sunday night or Monday morning and turned it on Friday when I got there. Since it was a 100% masonry home, there was tremendous thermal inertia and it did not pay to shut off the furnace (even with a set-back thermostat) or even turn down the LP heater since it ran little.

I hope this provides some experiences for the OP, but the homes are probably different construction, but the same need for hot water at a distance from the main cold water heater (it heats cold water). the difference is demand for hot water 3 days per week instead of 7 days.

Dick

Old 03-13-12, 07:58 AM
Super Moderator
Received 85 Upvotes on 77 Posts
A recirc retro fit is your best option.

http://www.watts.com/pages/whatsnew/IHWRS.asp

I
install these often. They work well, cheap to run, and have a timer for convienence. I usually leave them run 24/7.

Mike NJ

Old 03-13-12, 08:09 AM
A
Since we are here daily a recirculating pump might do the trick, never did give that a thought, Thanks.

Old 03-14-12, 10:46 AM
A
I am reading that single handle faucets could be a problem using the recirculating pump. I have 5 single handle faucets that are new, should I be going back to the tankless heater idea?

Old 03-14-12, 10:57 AM
Super Moderator
Why are single handle faucets a problem????

I have not read that and never had a issue... It would not make sense anyway. Whats the difference?

Thermostatic valves are an issue...... Do you have a thermostatic shower valve????

Mike NJ

Old 03-14-12, 11:21 AM
A
Old 03-14-12, 12:26 PM
Super Moderator
Don't worry about user reviews. There are a lot of other circumstances involved I am sure.

It only takes one thermostatic valve in the home for it not to work. A thermostatic valve is a shower type where you turn on the water flow with one knob and adjust the temperature with another knob.

Mike NJ

Old 03-14-12, 12:34 PM
A
Oh crap... I have two of those.

Old 03-14-12, 01:00 PM
Super Moderator
So you have two knobs/ handles in the shower? Not a hot and cold handle.

A handle that turns on the flow of water either on or off? And the other handle is just a dial with temp readings on it?

Some two handle units are incorporated in a single handle look, but there still is two handles.

OK then if you have that then "FUGETABOUTIT"!!!!!

Mike NJ

Old 03-14-12, 01:07 PM
A
Damn... thats what I have, so its back to the question can I get by with a single tankless for the one shower and two sinks?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: