not enough hot water/mixing valve?

Old 04-03-12, 08:47 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question not enough hot water/mixing valve?

We noticed a lack of hot water about 6 months ago and after some research, my
husband decided to remove the mixing valve(the builders foreman told him to)

We are a family of 4, the tank is 6 years old and never had any issues beforehand. We have a jacuzzi tub, and that's when it's noticable!

I called Enbridge and the plumber checked everything out, replaced the tube that goes down the centre of the tank even though he said it was just fine. He
informed me that people with these large tubs have trouble with hot water thru the winter. We hadn't before, but he said the tank was fine so we were waiting for warmer weather.

I just spoke with me neighbour last night, they have the same tub. They fill it for the kids, he has a shower then Mom has a soak and they still have hot water!!!

What could be going on?? I've read another post, where someone took the valkve off and he had hot water again....but it didn't work with us.

Old 04-03-12, 09:30 AM
Super Moderator
Received 85 Upvotes on 77 Posts
How did he remove the mixing valve? Took out the guts?

Its code to have one here in the states. Not sure about canada.

Well an easy test is to go to another tub and do a bucket test to confirm the HWH is OK

.Make sure the heater satisfied and the gas or electric is went of and heater is to set temp. Them take a 5 gallon bucket and start filling with hot water from a different tub. You should get about 85% of the HWH gallons.

So a 50 gallon HWH should produce about 40 gallons or 8 - 5 gallon buckets before the water starts coming out cool. If the heater is good then I would rebuild or replace the mixer.

I would not remove it entirely.

Second removing the guts of the mixer causes the cold to fully mix with the hot. If thats what you did its a wonder you get any hot water at all. I would think it would barley be luke warm.

.Mike NJ

Old 04-03-12, 10:04 AM
Super Moderator
Received 8 Upvotes on 8 Posts
Mike...
It's code now? Everywhere? Is it required when a WH is replaced or just new construction?

Old 04-03-12, 10:25 AM
NOt sure about the code, as the builder was the one who told us we could remove it if it was causing trouble....

All my husband had to do was remove the valve and re-plumb back into the tank. No guts necessary. It's position was about a foot above the tank, on the pipe.

I ran some hot water into a pot and used my cooking thermometer and it only registered 127 degrees. I told him it needed to be closer to 140 to kill the bacteria etc.... He turned it up and it's now 135 degrees.

Old 04-03-12, 11:09 AM
Super Moderator
Received 8 Upvotes on 8 Posts
And thats why you need the mixing valve. 135-140 would be fine with a mixing valve...but could be dangerous w/o.

Old 04-03-12, 07:00 PM
Super Moderator
The mixers are required for jacuzzi type tubs from my understanding. I can find the actuall code and post if you like..

Mike NJ

Old 04-03-12, 07:20 PM
Thank you! Why would the mixers be needed for jacuzzi tubs? What differance does it make, if I'm getting the temp I want out of the faucet? If I put a mixer back on, will there be an improvement of some type, or is it for safety?

Old 04-03-12, 08:22 PM
Super Moderator
Well the whole thing for code comes down the a way to limit the temp to 120F for areas of bathing and being scalded.

Typically shower/tubs are single handle today and are pressure balance, thermostatic, and/or have a scald protector built in. No more two or three handle stuff.

Except for two handle fixtures such as a roman tub, Jacuzzi etc which they make but have no scald protection built in. The only way to limit temp is by a mixing valve. ( I believe they have some faucets out on the market in the high-end category that have two handles and scald protection built in.

Its been code for sometime now. 7-10 yrs? I cant remember but that sounds about right.

The code is long winded, but that's it in a nut shell...

Mike NJ

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: