My water heater is leaking. Any ideas?

Old 05-15-12, 08:31 PM
Z
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
My water heater is leaking. Any ideas?

It's leaking underneath somewhere. All the fittings look good, though I can't see what's going on with a pipe that contains a pressure release valve. The valve is fine.

I suspect it's the tank itself. Our water is hard, and the tank is 11 years old. I shut everything down and drained it. What do you think is wrong with it? Any ideas for a new one?

Incidentally, that pipe with the pressure relase valve goes from the water heater into the wall. Where is that going?............ I don't get it.

Thank you for any help. It's appreciated. BTW, it's gas.

Last edited by ZZSPIRAL; 05-15-12 at 08:59 PM.
Old 05-16-12, 06:35 AM
Super Moderator
Received 8 Upvotes on 8 Posts
The pipe from the T&P valve has to be piped outside the home when the WH is installed inside. If you look around the outside walls nearby you should find it.

If you are getting water leakage and its not coming through a fitting somewhere...your tank is toast. Make sure you check the top fittings for leakage and take any covers off to check for wet insulation.

For a replacement....I believe Bradford White is highly recommended...but it also seems I've seen that they are only sold to plumbers through plumbing supply stores?

I think AO Smith is also on the recommended list.

When buying...the longer warranty versions are normally worth the extra money...if you plan on being there that long.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: