Very loud and awful noise upon filling in the Water-Heater

Old 06-16-12, 09:54 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Very loud and awful noise upon filling in the Water-Heater

Hi:
The water-heater I bought from Home Depot more than 10 years ago still working good. However, after taking a long shower and washing a large laundry, the Water-heater is very noisy that happens when filling water into the tank. The noise is something like deep-goggle inside the tank that lasts until a full capacity of the tank.

Except an awful noise upon filling water into the tank, it's still working alright as if I purchased a year ago.

I started to concern however, whether this, an awful noise is something wrong with the tank that might contribute to the 'emergency replacement of Water -Heater in the middle of the nite?

Any idea as to awful noise in the water-heater would be truly appreciated.

Thanks,

Sponsored Links
Old 06-17-12, 04:47 AM
What do you mean when you fill the tank? The tank should never be empty.

Old 06-17-12, 05:10 AM
What do you mean when you fill the tank? The tank should never be empty.
This 'gurggling noise' inside the tank occurs after or during a long shower or a large-capacity washer/laundry, both of which uses a lot of Hot-Wate, .... guessing both uses almost 3/4 Hot-water inside the tank. In order to make the tank being an original-capacity of the Hot-Water, cold-water starting to pour into the Hot-Water tank. During a cold-water filling-into the tank, or cold-water become 'Hot,' I hear very loud noise which is similar to very loud 'gurggling noise' iniside the tank.

btw) The Hot-Water Tank uses 'natural gas' and professionally installed by Home-Depot.

Old 06-17-12, 05:29 AM
Your tank is always full...as the hot water leaves, the cold water is entering...the noise you hear is the cold water heating up..your tank has dirt,rust and sediment built up inside on the bottom of the tank..the gurgling is the heat passing through that sediment..imagine a pot of water on the stove top with a layer of sand on the bottom,now think about what would happen as you tried to boil that water....thats what is going on inside your heater. P.S. the heater is most definately out of warranty if it is 10 yrs old...time to start thinking about a new one

Old 06-17-12, 05:54 AM
Your tank is always full...as the hot water leaves, the cold water is entering...the noise you hear is the cold water heating up..your tank has dirt,rust and sediment built up inside on the bottom of the tank..the gurgling is the heat passing through that sediment..imagine a pot of water on the stove top with a layer of sand on the bottom,now think about what would happen as you tried to boil that water....thats what is going on inside your heater
Thanks for the response.
The loud 'gurggling noise' inside the tank has been heard for more than two years. I thought about buying a brand new one, .... however it's still working OK and plus even a brand new one, some issue might occur as years passing by, not noise but something else that happens any other household appliances and even outdoor equipment, like lawn-mower. My lawn-mower stopped working only after one year while the old lawn-mower lasted close to 15 years. That's said, .... folks saying, ... 'do not bother unless something awfully wrong.'

My next question is, .... since any of us, the family has no-good hand to tackle the issue, such as draining a whole tank. What's your suggestion to alleviate the issue? Or, leave as it is, because it won't hurt the tank. Besides, I always keep an eye on the Hot-Water Tank that would be enough, at least a year or so?

Old 06-17-12, 06:41 AM
It doesn't sound like it is still working ok.

Hot water heaters mainly get replaced because the tanks go bad. The functioning of the appliance can otherwise be quite well. Ten years is a long time for a hot water heater tank. If your tank is rusting out, you won't know until it fails and floods your home. Have you kept up with changing the anode rod in the tank? Doing that would have extended the life of your tank.

Old 06-17-12, 07:21 AM
NJT
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
That's said, .... folks saying, ... 'do not bother unless something awfully wrong.'
It's your house, you'll do what you want of course.

My advice, it's time to replace the water heater.

And when you do replace it, understand that you should be flushing the sediment out of the water heater at LEAST once per year. This will help to prevent the problem you are now facing.

I've moved your thread to the proper forum.

Old 06-19-12, 05:01 AM
It's possible that the sacraficial anode has been depleted.
It may also be the cold water inlet dip tube has eroded away and is causing odd turbulance as fresh water gets added.
It may be a burner issue, try to shut off the gas supply to the unit and deplete the hot water in the tank and see if it still produces the same noises. Make sure you know how to do this, and start it up safely, otherwise call a professional in to help you with this task. Don't need any fires or blown up homes.
Tank replacement may be the best solution as they are so cheap, compared to a professional plumbers labor to diagnose the issues.