Electric Water Heater thermostat retaining clip ?

Old 06-28-12, 12:54 PM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Electric Water Heater thermostat retaining clip ?

My restet button kept popping and the water was getting too hot. I looked at both Thermostats and the lower one had some water get in through the panel - the Thermostat Retianing spring clip had rusted and wasn't holding it tight to the tank.

These Retaining clips look pretty universal (they are pressed on the the lug holding the heater element) - but - I cannot find them for sale anywhere. Home Depot, Lowes - and I searched the WEB pretty well. I doubt that they would cost more than $2 - but I just can't find one.

When I do WEB searches I get lots of references to replacing the thermostat & how to remove it & replace it in the retainer clip - but again - no place where I can buy one.

I know I'm going to have to buy a new water heater soon - but for $2 - I'd like to keep this one going and avoid the $300 + for a new tank now.

Any information or advice would be appreciated.

DRP

Old 06-28-12, 01:48 PM
Super Moderator
Received 84 Upvotes on 76 Posts
What is the make and model water heater? With that info we can possibly locate one.

serial # of the unit may be helpful too.

Mike NJ

Old 06-29-12, 11:01 AM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Mike,

I did manage to find a replacement for the retainer clip - off an old heater at the dump.

However, in replacing it I found some other problems with this old heater and am now just going to buy new.

Thanks again,

DRP

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: