Hot Water Issues :(

Old 07-10-12, 05:22 AM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Hot Water Issues :(

I recently purchased a home and have been there about 2 weeks or so. It is not new construction. Everything was fine with the exception of a constant popping sound coming from the hot water heater every time someone took a shower or used a lot of hot water. I did some research and found that draining/flushing the water heater was the fix since there was probably some sediment in there trapped at the bottom. Drained the water heater and no more popping sound.

On to the bad part. Since draining/flushing the water heater I seem to have two issues. The upstairs shower (2nd floor) has no hot water and no hot water pressure. The basement shower has hot water pressure but no hot water. All other sinks and faucets have hot water and hot water pressure. I am not sure what to do here.

The upstairs shower is an American Standard single handle and the downstairs is a Delta single handle.

Old 07-10-12, 05:37 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,273 Upvotes on 1,213 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

Sediment can get through the lines and get caught in the mixing valves, I'd take them off and clean them out and see what happens.

Old 07-10-12, 06:17 AM
Super Moderator
Received 85 Upvotes on 77 Posts
Possibly a mod will move this to the water heater section.

the upstairs shower (2nd floor) has no hot water and no hot water pressure.
As Mitch stated sediment can get into the valve body and clog the moving parts in the balance spool. Some are built into the cartridge and some are seperate. The statement above lead me to believe a balance spool issue. I lean towards that when the flow is greater on one side H/C then the other.

The basement shower has hot water pressure but no hot water.
This sounds baffling but may be related to the above. Don't know how old the faucet is but Delta is junk IMO.

If you do pull the carts you will do this with the water off. After the cart is pulled its good to turn the water and for a few seconds to flush any sediment out of the lines before replaceing the cartridge.

Next issue you may have this issue constantly now that you disturbed the heater. If it was making noise it probably had a lot of sediment. Just pull the aerator at the kitchen sink and have a look at the crude in there. That will explain a lot.

If you do replace the heater down the road have the plumber back flush the lines to the old heater before he puts the new heater in. If the plumber does not know how to do that then find a new plumber.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: