leak in peerless indirect fired HW heater

Old 08-05-12, 07:10 PM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
leak in peerless indirect fired HW heater

I have a peerless 40 gal indirect fired HW heater that is leaking from the thermostst well. I pulled the thermostat out and there is water. I took out the well retaped and put paste on and re tightened. It slowed the leak to a slow drip, about a gallon or so in a week. Since the tank is SS I am thinking I did not put enough tape and paste on and probably did not tighten it enough.
Any other thoughts? The tank is about 10 years old. I could get a new thermostat and redo the whole process.
Thanks.

Old 08-07-12, 09:39 AM
Super Moderator
Received 85 Upvotes on 77 Posts
Possibly its leaking from the weld? But of course try to tape and dope again. Use only 3 or 4 turns of tape wrapped in a CW motion with threads facing right with stat in hand. Then thin layer of Teflon paste.

Also I believe peerless has a 10 yr warranty on the indirect. It may be worth a shot if the leak is from the actual tapping.

Warranty

Old 09-16-12, 04:08 PM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
One last question

Short of ingnorance on my part what does CW mean. I'm thinking counter wise but not sure. Also, how tight should I make the fitting? Not sure if I'm going overboard on tightening the fitting. If this fails I will buy a new well hoping that it may not be sealed.

Thanks.

Old 09-16-12, 05:06 PM
Super Moderator
Received 85 Upvotes on 77 Posts
what does CW mean.
Clockwise.....

CCW = counter clockwise

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: