Pilot and Burner Keep Shutting Off

Old 08-15-12, 05:49 PM
K
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Pilot and Burner Keep Shutting Off

Hi, I hope someone can help. I have a 7 year old Whirlpool Gas Water Heater, Model #FG1F3030S3NOV. My wife told me that during the day she was not getting water. I followed procedure to light the pilot and it seemed to go fine. After the pilot lit, I turned it on and the burner lit...for about a minute. Then it shut down and the pilot went out. After a few minutes of trying, I managed to get the pilot lit again. the burner then lit for about a minute then it shut down again and the pilot went out.
Does anyone know what's wrong? I'm pretty handy and there's a parts store here in town, so if its a part I need, I think I can manage the repair. Thanks.

Old 08-16-12, 05:58 PM
Super Moderator
Received 85 Upvotes on 77 Posts
I am not familiar with the whirlpools of that age but tell me does it have a sealed door on the front burner or is there a door that opens to expose the pilot and burner?

Old 08-17-12, 03:51 AM
K
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down Whirlpool Quality?

Thanks for the reply. There's a sealed door on the front. I did some research on my model and found out that there was a big recall on my model by Whirlpool and in fact, they were giving away retrofit kits for the warranty. It got so bad that Lowe's was actually stocking the retrofit kits so Whirlpool could tell the consumer to get the kit there. Mine miraculously made it past the warranty date (6 yr warranty), so I had to buy a new thermostat and thermocouple (about $70). Interestingly, there were plenty of Whirlpool gas thermostats on the shelf at Lowes (what's that tell you about the Whirlpool quality?). Since Lowes had them stocked, I was able to make the repair yesterday and take a hot shower last night.

Last edited by kevinj04; 08-17-12 at 03:55 AM. Reason: Addition

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: