hot water tank pilot goes out after the tank iis heated

Old 08-24-12, 04:55 AM
T
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
hot water tank pilot goes out after the tank iis heated

My hot water tank pilot was out one day and I had to relight the pilot. The pilot turned on no problem and the burner kicked on and 30 minutes later i had hot water.The same thing happened the next day.No hot water and the pilot was out. I had to light the pilot and everything started working. I noticed that after the tank heats up the pilot goes out and I'm unable to relight the pilot. The pilot only lights when the tank is out of hot water. So far i changed the thermal coupler and ran a broom under the tank to get rid of any dust/toys/etc. I have a an electric blower that vents out the basement. I have a AMA hot water tank from American water heater company model pvg62-50t63-3nhv. The dealer wants almost 200 for the controller and it's non returnable. Lowes has a control that looks very similar for $75, how can I tell if the one from Lowes will work. I'm trying to do process of elimination but the parts are very expensive

Any help is greatly appreciated

Old 08-24-12, 06:13 AM
Super Moderator
Received 85 Upvotes on 77 Posts
There was a recall on some gas valves as I remember. You did not supply the serial # so I cant tell hat year the unit is.

Read here and see if your info matches.

Robertshaw Controls Co. Recall of Gas Control Valves on Water Heaters

Now aside from that a company I worked for got about 100 gas valves in from American water heater. We were changing them under warranty for the units we installed. The issue was pilots going out. Even though the thermocouple was changed the symptoms persisted.

I will try to find info regarding this.

But in the mean time call the manufacturer. Possibly they will send you a valve at no charge. Explain your issue to them.

Product Service and Support - American Water Heaters

Old 08-27-12, 05:10 PM
T
The serial number is 0143108646. I will try and call the manufacturer tomorrow.
So you think It's the gas valve that needs to be replaced? Thanks.

Old 08-29-12, 05:30 PM
T
One more thing. If I light the pilot, turn the tank on high and then turn it to low, the burner shuts off and the pilot stays on. I then turn it back on high and the burner turns on. If I leave it on high and go back down once we have hot water, the pilot is off.

Old 08-29-12, 05:53 PM
Super Moderator
Received 85 Upvotes on 77 Posts
Is the water really hot, even with the t stat set in the middle?

To pilot will go off if the tank temp gets too high.

How old is the heater? If its more then 6 years old O would replace it, and not throw any money at it.

AO smith is what I use and install. Bradford white is second. Rheem would be a last resort.

Old 03-16-14, 07:46 PM
J
Same problem - pilot light keeps going out

Guys
I have a 6 year old Bradford white. Never had a problem until a month ago. Pilot light keeps going on. Under warranty my plumber has replaced all internal parts twice. Don't ask me to answer which ones but he says there are really only 2-3 and he has relaxed them all. (I've used the s guy for 20 years and he's pretty knowledgable ) still have the problem, we have left he door open tot he room the water heater is located in thinking its pressurized, still problems, have checked the roof for vent issues, no problems. When the pilot light goes out , I light it back up and I have 4 quick flashing lights for a few minutes until it resets Itself telling me it went out because the water was too hot. He had a Bradford white tech on the phone the other day who suggested cooler water maybe entering the unit and circulating through the unit, making it think it needs to heat the water more than is really needed until I get a sensor saying to shut the pilot off because the unit is overheating. Has anyone heard of this? And how would I find where this water might be coming from. My plumber has never heard of this but I am currently cutting water off to the unit at night to see if it will still go out with no water entering the unit. Hasn't gone out yet ya night but it's only been three nights. Sometimes it took over a week before the issue comes back. Thanks for reading this long problem

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: