Pilot light keeps going off

Old 09-14-12, 07:12 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Pilot light keeps going off

A few days ago we had no hot water (gas system). Heater is 7 years old, no problems prior, I cannot remember the brand. I restarted the pilot and we've been fine for 2-3 days, but today I'm told (I'm not home) that the pilot is off again.

My system looks like this (but this is not the actual thing; I found this photo elsewhere).

I've googled this problem and some point to thermocouple but based on what little I know, the thermocouple is responsible for the main gas for the burner and wouldn't be relevant insofar as the pilot actually staying lit is concerned. FWIW there's no gas leak that I can smell.

What's the most likely culprit do you think?

Sponsored Links
Old 09-14-12, 07:16 AM
Super Moderator
Received 14 Votes on 12 Posts
You need to post the model/make and series # of the heater to guide you further. Could be a simple lint issue, but we need that info first.

Old 09-15-12, 04:48 PM
Received 5 Votes on 5 Posts
No, I'm afraid you are misinformed. The thermocouple does keep the pilot lit. Replace the thermocouple.

Old 09-16-12, 08:24 AM
NJT
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
I'm going to move this to the proper 'water heaters' forum...

Gilmorrie, you are of course correct that the thermocouple plays a strong role in keeping the pilot lit, but if it's a newer water heater with the 'flame arrestor' on the air intake, then the thermocouple could be OK and as Mike says a lint/dust buildup could be responsible.

Old 09-16-12, 02:07 PM
Sorry for delay. For what it's worth the brand apparently is State Industries, Inc. model GS640YBRS.

Old 09-16-12, 05:30 PM
Super Moderator
Received 14 Votes on 12 Posts
State water heaters are made by AO Smith. What you explained seems like the air intake disk is clogged with lint. This overheats the thermal cut off and hence the gas shuts off. When the unit cools you are able to relight it.

Read page 18 - ? here.

http://www.statewaterheaters.com/lit...320989-000.pdf

This explains cleaning the lint screen, and shows the corderite disk and service instructions. You need to make a tool to vacuum the underside of the disk. Some just take a toilet brush and clean it with that, but I do not find it effective.

Tool would be 2 ft 1/2" pvc pipe with a elbow on the end. Tape this to the hose of your vacuum to make a good seal.

Aim the elbow up, stick it in the air intake and vacuum the disk.

Old 09-19-12, 08:19 PM
Pilot won't stay lit

Reposted to correct location

Last edited by Milton23; 09-19-12 at 08:49 PM. Reason: Wrong location