URGENT. NEED to shower! Heater working but no hot water

Old 09-30-12, 03:15 PM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Exclamation URGENT. NEED to shower! Heater working but no hot water

I am house sitting and have not been able to figure out why there is no hot water in the house. The water heater is working, I can hear it turn on etc. And there is one place where I am able to g you able it a quart of hot water. It is from one of the other fixtures at the sink but only able to get it in basement.

Old 09-30-12, 03:24 PM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,281 Upvotes on 1,219 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

Seems unlikely to me but if you trace the pipes coming out of the water heater, do you see any valves? Also, do you get water out of the hot water faucets but it's cold or do you not get any water at all?

Old 09-30-12, 04:52 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,272 Upvotes on 2,024 Posts
Just to confirm what Mitch is asking:

A: You turn on a faucet to hot but the water is cold.

B: When you turn on a faucet to hot nothing comes out.

Since you are house sitting. Were you intended to live there while the owners were gone or just stop by to the check on the place? I'm trying to guess if they might have shut off the water while away (because nobody would be living there) or, if you would be staying there they should have left the water on (unless they like to play pranks).

Old 10-01-12, 12:02 AM
S
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

Thanks for responding!! To clarify, there is water that comes when the hot water side is turned on on any faucet, but it is cold water.

I've attached some photos of the area. Any thoughts are appreciated!!

Attached Images     
Old 10-01-12, 02:35 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 10 Upvotes on 9 Posts
Are you sure you hear the water heater gas ignite?? I see the blue valve on the gas line turned off, so it may be the unit is turned off for vacation. Take a close look at it. If it is turned across the direction of flow of the gas, it is off.

Old 10-01-12, 05:00 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,272 Upvotes on 2,024 Posts
I agree. It looks like they turned off the gas to the water heater.

Maybe the sound you hear at the water heater is the exhaust blower and igniter try to light the fire. The owners could have turned off the gas but forgotten to turn off the electrics/controls so it's trying to run but without gas it can't.

Are you living in the house or just stopping in to check on the house (do you need hot water)?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: