Hot water system for cabin?

Old 10-02-12, 02:12 PM
P
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Hot water system for cabin?

Didnt know where else to post this. I have a cabin with no well. We pump water into an above ceiling tank and have it plumbed to a shower and a kitchen sink. Ive used colemans hot water on demand which keeps breaking and a lodi system which hardly gets hot. I need a system thats either electric or uses propane and has a pump and maybe a shower head. Any ideas? Dont wanna spend a lot of $ either.

Old 10-02-12, 04:35 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,153 Upvotes on 1,928 Posts
How much electricity do you have available? Just enough to run a pump or enough to also heat the water? Is this cabin in The United States?

I think you are best separating the tasks of pumping and heating the water. I think this will allow you to use more main stream, commonly available and hopefully more reliable parts. I'm thinking a water pump & pressure switch to supply water pressure for both hot and cold water. Then use a traditional electric or gas water heater. Once heated a water heater will keep for a long time so you could use it in spurts as needed.

Old 10-02-12, 04:49 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
If you aren't pumping from a well, where are you getting your water from? I have a 1 gallon 120 volt water heater in my shop, but only use it for washing hands and small needs for hot water. Definitely not enough for a shower, I don't guess. You may want to consider a tankless water heater, too, although they can be quite pricey. At least you aren't heating water you won't use.

Old 10-02-12, 04:56 PM
Super Moderator
Received 84 Upvotes on 76 Posts
Wow colemans are expensive.

I read this has good reviews. You would probably want to stay with the camping products though. And propane.

Note: outdoor use only.

EccoTemp Portable Tankless Water Heater - Eccotemp L5 - Water Heaters - Camping World

Old 10-02-12, 05:01 PM
Super Moderator
Received 84 Upvotes on 76 Posts
If you aren't pumping from a well, where are you getting your water from?
I believe he trucks it up in his pick up from a tank that fits in the truck bed. Then I belive he pumps it to the ceiling tank. Then its all gravity.

Old 10-02-12, 05:49 PM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
They make shower heads with built in heaters. More common in other countries then here but should be easy enough to find. Gravity flow would be an advantage because of low flow.

Old 10-02-12, 06:06 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,153 Upvotes on 1,928 Posts
Ah, the suicide shower. Why do so many put the 240 volt, bare conductor knife switch right next to the shower. I hate taking a shower and staring at that thing. You get real conscious of where you swing your arms when showering.

Old 10-03-12, 04:16 AM
P
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by lawrosa
I believe he trucks it up in his pick up from a tank that fits in the truck bed. Then I belive he pumps it to the ceiling tank. Then its all gravity.

Exactly!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: