What's the deal with the small units?

Old 10-12-12, 05:14 PM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
What's the deal with the small units?

I've seen for quite a while and know about "tankless" heaters.. but I've noticed that you can get smaller units that could fit under the sink/bathroom sink.. nicely..

like..

Marey Electric Tankless Water Heater 2 GPM 110V - Expandable | eBay

MAREY Electric Shower Tankless Hot Water Heater 2 GPM 110V | eBay

And I mean there's dozens of e'm on ebay.. some going for $20.. I think.. (couldn't find any electric today)

I want to know why there so cheap..? Why there not in wide use?

Are they expected to break down in 5 years or something?

Old 10-12-12, 05:25 PM
Super Moderator
Received 8 Upvotes on 8 Posts
They are in pretty wide use...there's an instant heater installed at the gym my wife works at. I've seen them used at restaurants and houses where a room needs quick hot water but is quite far from the WH.

They aren't $20 units though...and require some heavy electrical supply as a rule.

Old 10-12-12, 06:23 PM
Super Moderator
Received 85 Upvotes on 77 Posts
Read the specs and do the math. 45 degree temp increase max.....?????

Typical ground water is 54 degrees. Plus 45 degree rise = 99 degrees. Every take a shower at 99F?????

Plus at what GPM is that????????? 1 gpm??? Typical shower is 2.5 gpm so the temp rating goes down from there.

Cold......

Like I said do the math.....

My 2 cents .

Old 10-12-12, 06:33 PM
Super Moderator
Received 8 Upvotes on 8 Posts
Oops....forgot to say...these are only installed at sinks...in my experience.

Old 10-12-12, 11:19 PM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Read the specs and do the math. 45 degree temp increase max.....?????

Typical ground water is 54 degrees. Plus 45 degree rise = 99 degrees. Every take a shower at 99F?????

Plus at what GPM is that????????? 1 gpm??? Typical shower is 2.5 gpm so the temp rating goes down from there.
Don't really see any of that on their auction.. and there "ebay" feedback doesn't reflect a 100 people having 99F showers....

I am ultimately interested in the best "long term" viability I can get.. since I don't see any of the $20 units.. maybe they got pulled/sucked or the company ran out of business.. and tankless are about $150.. tankless might "be" better...

What I'm worried with these units is they don't last more then 5 years.. they certainly look like they can go out within or after 5 years.. or even during..

Old 10-13-12, 12:22 AM
Group Moderator
Received 4,155 Upvotes on 3,731 Posts
For what you're buying a 5 year warranty is pretty good. The small ones you're looking at are single point units. Meaning one on the shower, one for the clothes washer, etc. The larger ones are more what you are looking for but they use a lot of power. One was 18,000 watts of heating. That's 75 amps at 240 volt. Most home panels are only 100 total.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: