Water leaking into house somewhere.

Old 10-18-12, 03:24 PM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Water leaking into house somewhere.

I have a leak going into house and I hear it running to the water heater constantly. When I shut the water off the the water heater it stops the leak to the house. Does that mean the water heater is the problem?? Thanks

Old 10-18-12, 03:49 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,310 Upvotes on 2,055 Posts
Are you shutting off a valve right at the water heater? If so the water heater could be the culprit but it's very easy to bend down and look under it for a leak. If you don't see water on the floor/ground than that's probably not it. I am concerned that you describe is as "leak to the house". It could also be a hot water line downstream from the water heater.

Old 10-18-12, 03:50 PM
Super Moderator
Received 85 Upvotes on 77 Posts
You on well city water?

Are you on a slab?

If city water is the meter spinning?

Old 10-18-12, 03:57 PM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I started turning off the main water to the house, saw the needle stop spining at the meter. Turn the main water back on and meter began to spin(not fast but moving constantly). I hear the water constanly going into the water heater(non stop). Turn the water to the heater off and the meter needle stoped spinning. I can't see anything leaking thoughout the house. what could it be?? Thanks again!

Old 10-18-12, 04:44 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,310 Upvotes on 2,055 Posts
Well, you have isolated it to somewhere in the hot water system. Carefully examine the water heater with a flashlight. If the heater is dry everywhere then it's somewhere in the hot water pipes throughout the house. Generally though the hot water heater is most prone to failure so give it a very thorough examination.

Old 10-18-12, 07:11 PM
Super Moderator
Received 85 Upvotes on 77 Posts
Dom, if your on a slab it could be leaking under there. The sound just resonates through the pipe and thats why you hear it at the heater.

Look around the heater. If no water look around and feel the floors to see if wet enroute to the bathroom. If no wetness then it may just be seeping in the ground.

Let me know if on slab.

If so you will need to get a plumber out with a slab leak detector. He should give you options. Possibly jackhammer small area to make the repair of a partial repipe.

Every home is different. I could tell you it will not be cheap to repair....Sorry!!!!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: